VXCF0C8 TQCJ0C4

Rob D

Reaction score
The new to me truck I just bought has this for a stock strategy:

VXCF0C8 TQCJ0C4

Apparently this strategy is ancient.

Should I take the truck to Ford for an update? Years ago everyone said to stay away from the updates due to MPG and power loss...but at the same time I know there are some terrible factory flashes as well. I do not know where this one lands.

Would my best option be to have PHP give me a custom tune? My truck came with the Edge Evolution which I have already removed for the SCT - and I am pretty sure PHP can simply convert the old EVO to their Gryphon.

Thanks,

ROb

Rob D

Reaction score
Have the edge converted to program the ficm. You will not regret it. It'll help fuel milage and low end power.

I am leaning towards this but a very trusted mechanic says he has seen injectors melted from the FICM tuning...but only on a couple trucks. I also do not know whose flash these said trucks were running. That's making me question the decision. If it wasn't someone who literally only works on ford diesels for a living I wouldn't let it carry so much weight but I really trust his opinion.

image.jpg

bad moose

Reaction score
I haven't heard of this. I had my evolution converted right before xmas. Been studying the mod since it first came out, before I jumped on board. I ran the atlas 40 for just over 400 miles and saw a small bump in milage. I currently run the Atlas 80, against PHP recommendations due to not having studs, and saw a good jump in fuel milage. I don't rod the truck so figured it would be ok, if I was harder on it well.....

Saw better throttle response and more low end also.

Back to the injector issue, I wonder if they were running 58 volt ficms along with them being tuned?

Rob D

Reaction score
Melted sticks were on a stock ficm.

I ran the atlas 80 on my first truck also but my ficm **** the bed like 2 weeks after so I ended up just replacing with a 58v ficm and never flashed it again before I sold it. Def. had noticeable throttle response as far as I remember. Back then I wasn't aware of what I posted tonight though.

Last edited:

Rob D

Reaction score
I should also say there was no way for him to undisputedly confirm the FICM flash was the cause - but he said he has never seen this happen on a truck without one so process of elimination...:shrug:

jdc753

Reaction score
whatever you do I would not take it to Ford. I think my truck had been reflashed 3 times from Ford and it always got worse and worse.

What I would suggest is getting in touch with Joe Wermers (SICKS LITER on here, and he is on Facebook and the Diesels of New England Group) out of Salem, NH. He has a Ford IDS computer with various factory flashes on it, unlike Ford who only carries the latest. Joe has done a lot of experimentation on different flashes along with FICM tuning as well. He is a dealer for PHP and Innovative for tuning.

I ended up having Joe roll my strategy back to an original 05 strategy thinking it might help my mileage but it actually hurt it, however combining it with PHP's FICM tuning I got a good bump back up in mileage and some nice low end power.

Twan

Reaction score
I wouldn't updated it. I would give almost anything to have my stock flash back in my 06. I just like the way it drove.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Tuning the ficm wont cause the connectors on the injectors to fail, its either from a shoddy 58v upgrade or a fault in the injector harness or solenoid wiring. I would recommend the php economy tune and some gearhead sct files.

Rob D

Reaction score
So different companies are saying different things. One says when you program with the SCT it essentially overrides and replaces whatever stock strategy is there - stating if using an SCT custom file it doesn't really matter what your stock strategy is. I have heard this from several sources. Other company says the tune is written for the "family" of strategies and certain stock parameters stay the same - that they only adjust what needs to be changed to get the desired result - as such it def. matters what stock strategy is in your truck. So who is correct - or is it completely dependent on the tune writer - some will retune every single parameter where as others only tune pieces?

Last edited:

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
I've heard the same on the strategy not really mattering, I wrote down my strategy and tuned my truck and it for sure did change the strategy

Sent from my SCH-R530X using Tapatalk

Twan

Reaction score
You could alway go to your local ford delear and test drive a 6.0 withy the new updates. See if you like the way they drive.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
So different companies are saying different things. One says when you program with the SCT it essentially overrides and replaces whatever stock strategy is there - stating if using an SCT custom file it doesn't really matter what your stock strategy is. I have heard this from several sources. Other company says the tune is written for the "family" of strategies and certain stock parameters stay the same - that they only adjust what needs to be changed to get the desired result - as such it def. matters what stock strategy is in your truck. So who is correct - or is it completely dependent on the tune writer - some will retune every single parameter where as others only tune pieces?

The SCT tuning will indeed overwrite the factory strategy in the pcm only. But certain strategies are far more controllable and respond better. That's why I never tell anyone to "rollback" because its only rolled back in stock form, your tuner may send you a file that uses a newer strategy, but that doesn't matter

Rob D

Reaction score
So end of the day what is the best way to go as far as strategy. I believe someone pretty local has an older IDS that can bring me up to a vxcf4 or 5 - but would I just be better off to go to Ford and get the latest flash and then have the tuner bring me back to the 4 ?

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
I would contact bill at php and get his input, Debating sending in my old insight to be modded

Sent from my SCH-R530X using Tapatalk

Rob D

Reaction score
whatever you do I would not take it to Ford. I think my truck had been reflashed 3 times from Ford and it always got worse and worse.

What I would suggest is getting in touch with Joe Wermers (SICKS LITER on here, and he is on Facebook and the Diesels of New England Group) out of Salem, NH. He has a Ford IDS computer with various factory flashes on it, unlike Ford who only carries the latest. Joe has done a lot of experimentation on different flashes along with FICM tuning as well. He is a dealer for PHP and Innovative for tuning.

I ended up having Joe roll my strategy back to an original 05 strategy thinking it might help my mileage but it actually hurt it, however combining it with PHP's FICM tuning I got a good bump back up in mileage and some nice low end power.

Hey man,

Can you PM me Joe's contact info. I had a # from him years ago and tried PMing him as well and have not heard back. Thanks!

Gearhead

Reaction score
I haven't heard of this. I had my evolution converted right before xmas. Been studying the mod since it first came out, before I jumped on board. I ran the atlas 40 for just over 400 miles and saw a small bump in milage. I currently run the Atlas 80, against PHP recommendations due to not having studs, and saw a good jump in fuel milage. I don't rod the truck so figured it would be ok, if I was harder on it well.....

Saw better throttle response and more low end also.

Back to the injector issue, I wonder if they were running 58 volt ficms along with them being tuned?

how were you calculating mileage? The display is a total lie when you program with a ficm tuner.

Latest posts

Members online