VXCF0C8 TQCJ0C4

Rob D

Reaction score
I talked to Joe today and a nice guy down at innovative. Will post up what they said when I am not typing on an iPhone

Rob D

Reaction score
OK so after talking with multiple people I have developed my own simple stupid explanation for the strategy question. I am not sure I am 100% accurate in what I am about to say so do not hold it against me if I am wrong still.

So we all know the SCT only programs the ECM & PCM but not the FICM. I was under the impression that some part of the stock strategy footprint was left behind in the ECM and PCM; some parameters left untouched when a tune writer gives you a custom file - I thought that is the reason they need your stock strategy to begin with.

The way I have come to understand it now is that the stock strategy in the ECM and PCM is completely removed and replaced with the custom file - thus why some guys will see a different strategy when stock vs when tuned. However the FICM file remains the same.

This leaves 2 options - "rollback" the flash on your truck so you get an earlier Ford FICM flash (reflash reprograms all 3 computers) OR get a custom FICM flash from one of the vendors.

So the one strategy being better than the next issue is really centered around just getting the better FICM flash when we are programming with the SCT.

Question:
Is it proper to say then that tune writers ask for the stock strategy due to the SCT (all except the x3 I believe) not capable of providing the FICM strategy? The tune writer instead can figure out what FICM strategy you have based off the marriage with the given ECM/PCM strategy? If the programmers were able to read the FICM strategy I am under the impression tune writers would ask for that instead and not care about what your ECM/PCM strategy is?

Well I hope I am not completely off the deep end here. Like I said different people had different explanations and I am trying to lump them all together in a way the average guy can follow.

Please correct any of this if it is not accurate :thumbup:

Gearhead

Reaction score
The SCT cannot flash the FICM. I like asking for the true stock strategy on the truck (not when programmed) so I can make the proper substitution or use the same strategy and not program with a strategy that will cause little issues or not run properly.

Rob D

Reaction score
Matt - if you are completely replacing the stock programming - why would there be little issues or the truck not run properly unless it was the marriage between the ECM/PCM and the FICM?

Gearhead

Reaction score
Other than throwing a code, the ficm flash doesn't have to match the strategy. As far as ford flashes go that is.

Gearhead

Reaction score
Depending on the truck, some had maf sensors some didn't etc. If you use an incompatible strategy it can cause the truck to run improperly or throw codes. I always use the same, newer, or older strategies of what the truck came with from the factory but in the same family of tunes that would have been reflashed from Ford directly. For example, vxcf4hj is frt1 and vxcf9h7 is frt4. They were the same exact truck just different revisions of the same tune.

Rob D

Reaction score
OK so my logic thinking the stock strategy is completely irrelevant is not sound then - it does come into play in minor ways, but more in the sense that the tune writer knows exactly what to tune based on what the truck came with from the factory.

I was talking to another guy that said 05 trucks have their own strategies that may not work with 06-07 strategies? He also said that the Harley trucks had their own? I have never heard any of this I always thought the break point was 03-04 and 05-07. He is a dealer for PHP and seemed to know a whole let about strategies.

Latest posts

Members online