want stiffer suspension in the rear

motionmanjcm

Reaction score
I'm not new to diesel's, but I have never really done any suspenion work. I am wondering what is the cheapest and easiest way to beef up the rear a little bit so it doesn't sag so much with load on. just put in a set of 350 or 450springs? or add springs? I don't know much about em so any help is appreciated.. thanks

jngreen

Reaction score
I would do airbags. That way you can adjust the pressures for heavy or light loads, and then deflate them when you don't need them.

Zmann

Reaction score
Bag it

overload springs (it was an option)

Timbrens

or add a leafs but air bags are My choice

motionmanjcm

Reaction score
yes i would love to bag it... might be a while till i have the dough for that.

is adding leafs are hard job? that might atleast get me by until i can afford air bags

jngreen

Reaction score
Its been awhile since I checked prices, but the manual fill firestone air bag kits can't be much more expensive than any of the other options.

quick search reveals, http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/fires...ag-kit-99-04-ford-f250-f350-fifth-goose-hitch

$315 with free shipping, make sure you get the right kit for your style of hitch.

I'm sure you can find it cheaper somewhere else or used, but this is really your best option.

Last edited:

motionmanjcm

Reaction score
Its been awhile since I checked prices, but the manual fill firestone air bag kits can't be much more expensive than any of the other options.

quick search reveals, http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/fires...ag-kit-99-04-ford-f250-f350-fifth-goose-hitch

$315 with free shipping, make sure you get the right kit for your style of hitch.

I'm sure you can find it cheaper somewhere else or used, but this is really your best option.

wow that is a pretty good price.. thanks for the link. hopefully i could find a compressor for a good price too. how do those air bag systems actually work? are you able to dump the air? or is it an auto leveling type thing?

Zmann

Reaction score
The airlift wireless is awesome it has some user programmable preset PSI's for your favorite trailers

it can level side to side if need be

it dumps adds air as required and it also maintains the PSI you set ,, or if not needed it maintains the 5 psi minimum to keep the bags healthy

amazon had the best deal when I went shopping
below is the best one IMHO
http://a.cdnbrm.com/images/products/large/Suspension/airlift_wireless_air.jpg

Last edited:

jngreen

Reaction score
The airlift wireless is awsome it has some preset PSI's for your favorite trailers

it can level side to side if need be

it dumps adds air as required and it also maintains the PSI you set ,, or if not needed it maintains the 5 psi minimum to keep the bags healthy

amazon had the best deal
this is the best one IMHO
http://a.cdnbrm.com/images/products/large/Suspension/airlift_wireless_air.jpg

How much is that?

The firestone kit is full manual, it fills like a tire with valve stems. You put how much air you want in with an air hose, check the pressure with a tire guage and go. You could plumb in a guage or add a compressor kit later, but I really like the simplicity of the manual bags.

Zmann

Reaction score
it's the airlift 72000 and it is just the compressor / controller/valve and all necessary stuff to hook it up
the bags are sold separate and you can install them first and just use the shrader valves to inflate/deflate them while you decide if you want the compressor

Last edited:

jngreen

Reaction score
it's the airlift 72000 and it is just the compressor / controller/valve and all necessary stuff to hook it up
the bags are sold separate and you can install them first and just use the shrader valves to inflate/deflate them while you decide if you want the compressor

Gotcha, its definately a nice kit, as long as it works.

I'm cheap though, I will air my bags the same time I check my tire pressures before a trip. Shrader valves FTW, lol.

I also think those poly/rubber progressive rate springs are kinda interesting. I like the simplicity. All the newer trucks already use them as bump stops.

motionmanjcm

Reaction score
wow i really like those airlift systems.. great prices. and I like the fact that you can put the bags on and then add a compressor later if you'd like. I think this is definately the route im gonna go. Thanks for the help guys!!

Latest posts

Members online