Warrens shop truck?

Crack85

Reaction score
I don't think a reputable shop can offer anything more than I can offer myself. My builder is a senior master tech, 26 years at ford, 19 years building transmissions. Also has 3 heavy hitter 6.4 trans under his belt that pull regularly on the local pull circuit. I'm convinced it's tuning since it's a repeat offense 3 times with my '04 trans and 2 times with a 5r out of a '09. New epc and direct solenoids and new filters/sp fluid every build. Guess it's time to give gearhead a try. Also I have about $2700 total invested in all of the builds.

Interesting.....a Proven Trans from any builder on here will run a min of 5500....you R getting a hell of a deal or not....

jdgleason

Reaction score
I don't think a reputable shop can offer anything more than I can offer myself. My builder is a senior master tech, 26 years at ford, 19 years building transmissions. Also has 3 heavy hitter 6.4 trans under his belt that pull regularly on the local pull circuit. I'm convinced it's tuning since it's a repeat offense 3 times with my '04 trans and 2 times with a 5r out of a '09. New epc and direct solenoids and new filters/sp fluid every build. Guess it's time to give gearhead a try. Also I have about $2700 total invested in all of the builds.

I can guarantee you a reputable shop can offer you much more.

jdgleason

Reaction score
Elaborate?

Not a whole lot to elaborate on. I just know that there are a lot of shops who have spent years and years developing parts for the 5R specifically, and have built hundreds of them, tested and researched many parts, tolerances, clutch counts, etc., and those shops have much more to offer than those who have not.

I've dealt with several guys/shops who believe that they can buy a trans kit and build it just as well as any shop in their garage, and they are mistaken.

strokin20

Reaction score
I flushed it with the machine we have a the dealer but maybe this time I'll throw a new one on. Thanks for the advice.

Definitely worth a shot. I know from now on when I have one rebuilt, I'll always put a new cooler and send my converter to be refreshed/cleaned. I would imagine it's almost impossible to get all the clutch material out, and all it takes is one little piece in one of the solenoids.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HOLDERDOWN

Reaction score
Theres a lot more to it than just clutches, inputs and a TC. We don't do any shortcuts when we build a trans for a HP truck.

TBagAMouseTrap

Reaction score
Not a whole lot to elaborate on. I just know that there are a lot of shops who have spent years and years developing parts for the 5R specifically, and have built hundreds of them, tested and researched many parts, tolerances, clutch counts, etc., and those shops have much more to offer than those who have not.

I've dealt with several guys/shops who believe that they can buy a trans kit and build it just as well as any shop in their garage, and they are mistaken.

Theres a lot more to it than just clutches, inputs and a TC. We don't do any shortcuts when we build a trans for a HP truck.

Wish I could get some help instead of just a sales pitch.

strokin6L

Reaction score
What kind of help do you need? Its simple....you were given helpful advise to have a trans built from a reputable shop. Doesn't get must easier than that! Or do you need help spending your money?

TBagAMouseTrap

Reaction score
What direct clutch kit works best alto, suncoast, or raybestos? I've used both suncoast and alto and the alto molded piston fits better. I still have roughly $2800 to spend to equal what I would spend to get a trans from a sponser. I did buy the rebuild kit from a well known sponsor btw. And with direct clutch kits selling on other websites for just over $100 it'll take quite a few more failures to hit that mark. I just get a lot of self worth being able to say it was built by me.

Reaction score
I flushed it with the machine we have a the dealer but maybe this time I'll throw a new one on. Thanks for the advice.
IIRC, the Ford trans engineer on this board stated that the flush machines don't work on these transmissions. Something about it needing to be a heated machine, at the very least, which most shops won't purchase. Also, due to pressure sensors, check valves, etc.., it would never process all the fluid. I can try to dig up the thread but probably a moot point since you have the same search button.

strokethis_06

Reaction score
I have been running a warren diesel trans in my truck for the past 2 years. 2 different trucks. The first a 6.0 with a single 75. The second a 6.4 with a single 75. The 6.4 is soon to be compounded. Andy pretty much challenged me to break it. That is enough peice of mind for me. Best money I have invested in my trucks.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
What direct clutch kit works best alto, suncoast, or raybestos? I've used both suncoast and alto and the alto molded piston fits better. I still have roughly $2800 to spend to equal what I would spend to get a trans from a sponser. I did buy the rebuild kit from a well known sponsor btw. And with direct clutch kits selling on other websites for just over $100 it'll take quite a few more failures to hit that mark. I just get a lot of self worth being able to say it was built by me.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way... because it is purely information coming from a guy that sells turbos to lots of guys that end up blowing up their transmissions. I am not trying to bash in any way.

Your issues could be tuning... but lets assume they are not tuning related.

I have lots of customers that had their transmissions built using the "same" parts that most reputable tranny builders use. They usually use some shop close by or some friend that has been building stock transmissions or other types of "built" transmissions for years (not someone that SPECIALIZES in the 5r110). I used to feel bad for those guys and try to help them out when their transmissions blew up multiple times. Some of them dumped WAY more money in the transmission project then it would have cost just to get it right the first time. But now I just try to pre-warn them and point them in the right direction.

I am not a transmission builder so I cannot tell you the special secrets or tips... but I have talked with many tranny builders at length and they told me all sorts of things they do to modify to get the tranny just right. Certain clearances that most guys don't know about. Certain parts they use or don't use. There is a lot more to putting a tranny together rather than just buying/installing the right parts. Their have even been issues with certain parts coming for big manufacturers like suncoast that needed to be modified.

Some would say that a built tranny is way overpriced... but you have to also remember that some of the price you are paying is a convenience fee, warranty fee, shipping, oh and they need to make a little profit to stay in business.

There are some things that are worth building on your own... but there are also some things that are well worth paying a professional to get right.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
Raybesto GPZ is the new go to clutch in the Allison world, don't know what the word is for ford transmissions though. ...

strokin6L

Reaction score

If you've been the one building the trans and having all the failures....then I think you've found the common denominator. Instead of buying the kits and building it yourself....just buy a fully built trans. Cause obviously it ain't working out for ya! How many failures is it gonna take ya to realize that?

Last edited:

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score

hopefully that self worth is the equivalent of a shop who has spent years getting it right. I'm pretty sure the info you're asking is the info you would pay for when purchasing a trans from a good builder. you'll find out one way or another. make sure your tuner understands your trans build VERY well.

java

Reaction score
Jeeez give the guy a break, looks like he just likes to build things himself. I agree something isnt right if you've give through it that many times.

stroker57

Reaction score
I thought mpd only did 819 on fuel ? And the rest was on nitrous? Correct me if im wrong. But if were talking fuel only numbers there's a big gap there

TBagAMouseTrap

Reaction score
Rotunda TTCF-7AR. Which is a heated unit and all I flushed were lines and cooler. And to repeat my builder works at the dealer, has 19 years of ford transmission experience. Has used the same parts in other 5rs without issues, only my truck goes through direct clutches. These other 5rs include 6.4s with stock high pressure/76mm turbos and stock fuel, 59/72 turbos and stock fuel, and 59/80 duel fueler and 60%. All of which make more power that comes on harder than my laggy 66. So we can throw the common denominator theory out the window. I've built my own fuel system, ported my own intake, plan to make my own up pipes, etc. so yes my self worth is pretty high in my head. And to get back on topic comparing whitey to warrens shop truck isn't fair. Ones streetable, using factory location on most parts iirc and 4 door. The other isn't legal to be on the street, has nothing in common with a factory 6.0, and is half a regular cab.

Attachments

• Rotunda ttcf-7ar.JPG
    Rotunda ttcf-7ar.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 77

Members online

No members online now.