Washing/Detailing

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
That is him. He is recommending that I use some opti-coat no rinse soaps, sponges, etc. as well. Opposite side of the washing method spectrum from what I am used to.

TripleE44

Reaction score
Probably Optimum No Rinse. There seems to be a lot of support behind it, even on autogeek. Still scares me a little to be honest. But there are people on there that get their cars way dirtier than me, from snow and stuff, and they still use it.

If he's telling you to use it after he spends all that time correcting the paint and coating it, he's pretty damn confident in it though.

04cr450

Reaction score
Before you go this route check out ammo products... does the same exact thing... much cheaper.
I had it done to my truck and the finish is unbelievable. I have a few friends that have high end cars, was going to opticoat my truck and they talked me out of it and go with ammo. Amazing stuff to say the least, products are all designed, made by one individual from up in new york.

Jomax

Reaction score
Before you go this route check out ammo products... does the same exact thing... much cheaper.
I had it done to my truck and the finish is unbelievable. I have a few friends that have high end cars, was going to opticoat my truck and they talked me out of it and go with ammo. Amazing stuff to say the least, products are all designed, made by one individual from up in new york.

Although I like watching his videos, his products actually cost a bit more then most products that cost less and do the same. Nothing wrong with his products though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jomax

Reaction score
Probably Optimum No Rinse. There seems to be a lot of support behind it, even on autogeek. Still scares me a little to be honest. But there are people on there that get their cars way dirtier than me, from snow and stuff, and they still use it.

If he's telling you to use it after he spends all that time correcting the paint and coating it, he's pretty damn confident in it though.

I've been using no rinse for years, although I use another brand that works even better. I have one vehicle that I take care of that is 2 years old that has never seen a car wash. ZERO scratches.

I actually hate washing a vehicle with water now.

04cr450

Reaction score
I've been using no rinse for years, although I use another brand that works even better. I have one vehicle that I take care of that is 2 years old that has never seen a car wash. ZERO scratches.

Does it work that well? I just can't picture washing a vehicle with no water lol???

04cr450

Reaction score

What brand do you prefer?

Sterling6.7

Reaction score

Yes, ONR is what he is suggesting and he doesn't seem to take his work lightly.

I think that the cost is in the labor, not the products used. I have had a hard enough time finding this guy with the products he uses and recommends. I have been truly searching for a worthwhile detailer for about 7-8 years and he is the best prospect.

How long does the process take on our trucks? Easier or more difficult?

2500 for a wax/buff job? we that to have trucks painted LOL

Around here, $100/hr. for a skilled trade is the going rate and I definitely consider this a skilled trade. If he had to spend almost 3 days getting it perfect and done, I say it would probably be worth it. I am going to meet him on Saturday, so should know more then.

Sterling6.7

Reaction score
Met up with him today. He said that he only needed 5-10 minutes to get a good idea on the condition of the paint. 2.5 hours and a bunch of BSing later, he was out the door. Seems like a pretty honest guy that has been datailing for the last 16 years. I have to imagine that he has seen a car or two in that time, but not many trucks. He said the paint is much better than he expected but thinks that due to the size, it will take close to two days and possibly two syringes of Opti coat Pro. That puts him in the $1500-2000 range due to the amount of water spots that he sees. Does this seem about right?

Jomax

Reaction score
Yes, ONR is what he is suggesting and he doesn't seem to take his work lightly.

I think that the cost is in the labor, not the products used. I have had a hard enough time finding this guy with the products he uses and recommends. I have been truly searching for a worthwhile detailer for about 7-8 years and he is the best prospect.

How long does the process take on our trucks? Easier or more difficult?

It's easier, I have a DI water filter setup at home. So if the truck is very dirty I'll pressure wash it down really well, then start Rinseless washing.

I soak up 20 MF towels in a bucket of RW solution and use the towels in sections. Good part is after you finish a section, you are ready to wipe that area dry.

There's more to it, Autogeek explains it all in detail. But I will say this, Rinseless washing properly will NOT scratch the vehicle. I take care of a Lexus and they're known for softer clearcoat. There's ZERO micro marring, swirls, or scratches on the vehicle.

04cr450

Reaction score
So I did a lot of research on this waterless stuff.... sum it up there is no way I am doing this on my vehicles, pure snake oil in my opinion. Shine a fine light on the paint and there will be scratches.... maybe on a "dusty" vehicle it will suffice but salt/mud etc? No way jose.
I even went further and talked to a well known detailer around my area that does high end cars for the b more ravens football team and he was against it immensely.
The only way he said that it would be safe is if the paint on the vehicle was sealed basically every month or sealed after a washing. Sealed meaning a sealant coat chemical applied not wax. I seal my paint after getting it paint corrected when I first got it every 2 months now and the pain't surface definitely has a layer of clear coat on it.
The waterless stuff could work on my paint due to the condition of it but I still won't do it. I'm to ocd lol

Last edited:

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Here's a pic for inspiration. This is the truck in my avatar pic. I got the truck used and the previous owner was a fan of the brush washes. It's been a toooooooon of work to get it like this.

View attachment 32111

That's amazing!!! I did that to my wife's Acadia black denali.

Then.... I refused to let her drive it! Lol.

Life's to short, I just wash and drive. Wash and drive. Wax if I'm bored.

I use Fleet wax, aeronautical and marine. Tough stuff, no yellowing. Lasts along time.

One thing I need to figure out is what filtration I can put on my outside faucet to keep the truck from spotting when I rinse?????

ckrueg

Reaction score
That's amazing!!! I did that to my wife's Acadia black denali.

Then.... I refused to let her drive it! Lol.

Life's to short, I just wash and drive. Wash and drive. Wax if I'm bored.

I use Fleet wax, aeronautical and marine. Tough stuff, no yellowing. Lasts along time.

One thing I need to figure out is what filtration I can put on my outside faucet to keep the truck from spotting when I rinse?????
I would love to find a reasonably priced system for that. I don't mind washing it, it's they drying that I hate. A deionized would work, but those are quite expensive.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jomax

Reaction score
So I did a lot of research on this waterless stuff.... sum it up there is no way I am doing this on my vehicles, pure snake oil in my opinion. Shine a fine light on the paint and there will be scratches.... maybe on a "dusty" vehicle it will suffice but salt/mud etc? No way jose.
I even went further and talked to a well known detailer around my area that does high end cars for the b more ravens football team and he was against it immensely.
The only way he said that it would be safe is if the paint on the vehicle was sealed basically every month or sealed after a washing. Sealed meaning a sealant coat chemical applied not wax. I seal my paint after getting it paint corrected when I first got it every 2 months now and the pain't surface definitely has a layer of clear coat on it.
The waterless stuff could work on my paint due to the condition of it but I still won't do it. I'm to ocd lol

Waterless and rinseless are two different things.

If you have mud, of course you need a full wash. But even then. You could pressure wash the truck down, then proceed to rinseless wash.

Look up the Garry Dean method for Rinse less washing.

99% of people scratch their vehicles washing it the old fashion way. Even then it's Not safe.

I'm OCD too. But use rinseless washes without hesitation.

01e4e70ffb8efe21a8d8237dfec64c2e.jpg

This car has only had Rinseless washes since new. Zero swirls or scratches.

Jomax

Reaction score
I would love to find a reasonably priced system for that. I don't mind washing it, it's they drying that I hate. A deionized would work, but those are quite expensive.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I use a rented DI filter from puretec. It's actually cheaper then buying.
I don't know if they have a store in your area.

http://puretecwater.com