Waste gate?

Short Bus

Reaction score
I'm chasing a boost problem and want to be able to remove the waste gate and block off the exhaust so that I can see if the waste gate is malfunctioning. Wend from 45# to 30 w/o losing spool up so I'm thinking that for some reason th wg is opening even though I have boost line feeding the top side of the wg trying to keep it from opening. Any ideas?

Short Bus

Reaction score
Idk if the diaphragm is damaged or not, figured that if I were going to pull the gate off I'd just block it off since the biggest tune I run makes only 45 psi. Not to mention that occasionally the gate hits the cowling and makes way too much noise and I'm tired of dicking with it.

Bft- idk how long I'd guess between 6 months and a year is all.

V-Ref

Reaction score
Do you have access to regulated shop air? If so, you could apply regulated pressure (the pressure you want/think the gate to open) to the bottom port on the gate to see if it opens first before pulling the gate.

Short Bus

Reaction score
Yes I have shop air lol. I won't have time to mess with it for awhile due to wheat harvest so it will be a week or two before I can get back on this.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Do you have access to regulated shop air? If so, you could apply regulated pressure (the pressure you want/think the gate to open) to the bottom port on the gate to see if it opens first before pulling the gate.

This^ Then you dont remove, blindly, what could.be a working.gate.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Idk if the diaphragm is damaged or not, figured that if I were going to pull the gate off I'd just block it off since the biggest tune I run makes only 45 psi. Not to mention that occasionally the gate hits the cowling and makes way too much noise and I'm tired of dicking with it.

Bft- idk how long I'd guess between 6 months and a year is all.

Do you have room to modify the setup so the wastegate gets mounted similar to what I did for the high pressure charger for your compounds? (With a little bit more TLC on the crossover pipe than I had time for anyway...)

BFT

Reaction score
I figured you had it on there longer. The shop air is a good way of seeing if it's the diaphragm, the best part is that all it costs is your time.
If it is the WG, Synapse eng. makes a WG with no diaphragm.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
I figured you had it on there longer. The shop air is a good way of seeing if it's the diaphragm, the best part is that all it costs is your time.
If it is the WG, Synapse eng. makes a WG with no diaphragm.

Those gates are a biatch to tune

Short Bus

Reaction score
Well I found out what the problem was. The fitting that threads into the top of the wg backed way out and was leaking boost, and hitting the cowling. Upon fixing that problem i noticed a pre turbo exhaust leak.... Lost one manifold bolt and had 4 more loose ones!

OSCS

Reaction score
Where can u get a blocking plate? I am having issues with mine as well and want to do the same

Latest posts

Members online