Wastegate Help

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
I'm about to drop the motor into my truck.
I'm looking to build 50-60 PSI with my modded H2E and 300/200's.
In the future I will be adding a 150-300hp shot of nitrous.

The Problem.. I have no knowledge on wastegates!
What size wastgate(s) should I purchase? What spring, 7 or 14PSI. Is a 60mm wastegate too much? Is a 50mm wastegate just right?

I was thinking of running 1 wastgate right behind the turbo. Kinda like Irate diesel's set-up. http://www.iratediesel.com/store/gallery-2/idp-products-2-2/

Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys for all of your help!

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Why 60 psi from an h2e. That thing will be screaming.

Get a bigger turbo to benefit those objectors first off.

A 45-46 gate should work fine. I'd go stiffer then a 14 as you will have to feed it regulated boost anyway

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
Why 60 psi from an h2e. That thing will be screaming.

Get a bigger turbo to benefit those objectors first off.

A 45-46 gate should work fine. I'd go stiffer then a 14 as you will have to feed it regulated boost anyway

I will probably get a bigger turbo in the future, I got this turbo before I built the motor like crazy. My original goal was only 500hp on a forged bottom end. Now my goal is ~600hp+...
It's the modded H2E with the larger compressor wheel, I was told I could make 600-650hp with this set-up?

I also saw a post of someone who pushed their H2E to 70psi.
So I figured 50-60 psi would be a good limit.

I was thinking about this wastegate..
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tbs-ts-0502-1002/overview/

What spring would you run?

I've been desperate for help on this build. Someone referred me to this forum. They told me that this forum deals more with performance modifications rather than maintenance and upkeep.

Thanks guys!

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
45mm waste gate is what I would get. There is no magic spring to run depends on the setup and how it is being controlled.

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
Last edited:

Blowby

Reaction score
Only problem I had in 2007 was changing out the spring. No room to work on the WG up against the fire wall.

Blowby

Reaction score
That was my plan too! But Sh!T happens and you will be d!cking around with the BP and find out you need to change it. No biggy just pull the turbo out and remove the WG.

I now use electronic control so I don't have to change the springs anymore. I use low pressure springs and BP on top to stay ahead of the boost/BP game.

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
That was my plan too! But Sh!T happens and you will be d!cking around with the BP and find out you need to change it. No biggy just pull the turbo out and remove the WG.

I now use electronic control so I don't have to change the springs anymore. I use low pressure springs and BP on top to stay ahead of the boost/BP game.

What electronic controller do you use? I wouldn't mind investing into one if they aren't too expensive!

Low pressure spring meaning a single 5-14psi spring?

Thanks again for your help man, I've been trying to figure this gate set-up out for a few weeks now!

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
I agree. The placement behind the turbo is horrible. I have a 14lb spring in my gate (45mm) and I put in the wastegate because I want to spray.

I would recommend the 26lb spring with full boost to the bottom port and regulated boost to the top. Dialed till your content.
Right now I don't think I have enough spring pressure. I have full boost to the top of the gate and believe it is opening a touch to early.
That being said its hard to say without a track time or back to back dyno pulls.

Invest in some copper pipe and a few compression fittings and tap into and T off the factory back pressure sensor with a 0-100psi gauge so you can monitor BP

A modded h2e is usually a 66mm wheel. It will be a long shot to go above 550hp. And I see no point in pushing that turbo much past 50psi.

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
Ya to change the spring in mine you have to remove the gate. I now run a light spring and let the controller do the rest. With a basic regulator you want a heavy spring.

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
What controller are you running ?

I would love to know what controller he is running too! Most of the controllers I've looked at have low max boost limits.
EDIT: Nvm 4.0l sahara, just read your sig and saw that you are running a ams1000 boost controller.

I agree. The placement behind the turbo is horrible. I have a 14lb spring in my gate (45mm) and I put in the wastegate because I want to spray.

I would recommend the 26lb spring with full boost to the bottom port and regulated boost to the top. Dialed till your content.
Right now I don't think I have enough spring pressure. I have full boost to the top of the gate and believe it is opening a touch to early.
That being said its hard to say without a track time or back to back dyno pulls.

Invest in some copper pipe and a few compression fittings and tap into and T off the factory back pressure sensor with a 0-100psi gauge so you can monitor BP

A modded h2e is usually a 66mm wheel. It will be a long shot to go above 550hp. And I see no point in pushing that turbo much past 50psi.

Where else would you recommend placing the gate?

Last edited:

Blowby

Reaction score
AMS 1000 here!

You're looking at about $1,000-1,200 with everything needed to do an install correctly. Maybe a sponsor can work you a deal.

I'm controlling two WG's with it. One with the Boost function and one with the Aux function. Two red buttons on the face plate will drop pressure instantly on the top of the gate or add pressure to whatever value I specify. Nice to have if you want to blow off some pressure on top to keep the BP down on a 1/4 mile run or a dyno.

Final-3.jpg

Final-12.jpg

Last edited:

Marty

Reaction score

What size turbo are you running? On a waste gated Irate mounting kit?

FWIW, an h2e can be modded to a 71mm and I've seen it produce 590 rwhp on fuel.

Pwnm30rdi3

Reaction score
What size turbo are you running? On a waste gated Irate mounting kit?

FWIW, an h2e can be modded to a 71mm and I've seen it produce 590 rwhp on fuel.

I have the 71mm wheel on my modded H2E. Hopefully I can make the 600 rwhp mark!

I might need some help wiring up the AMS-1000. What goes to the shift input slot on the controller?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.