Water & Algae in fuel... SMH

Power Hungry

Reaction score
Bill, have you checked with your insurance agent on filing a comp claim?? Comp, by its definition covers all kinds of damage-- vandalism, road damage, etc. You don't have control over the stuff that comes from the pump. Id let your insurance co go after the fuel station to subrogate the claim.

Yeah, that's the direction we're heading now. State Farm has been really helpful in trying to get this claim processed. We have a few hoops to jump through, but I think it's going to get handled pretty quickly. Thank goodness we documented EVERYTHING! Otherwise it might have been considerably more difficult.

We're dropping everything from the tank forward. I'm even replacing the pickup in the tank. I know this sucks enough on a 7.3L or 6.0L, but I can't imagine how much of a hassle it would be on a common rail setup. :fustrate:

Will keep you all updated when we drop the tank. I'm interested to see just how much garbage is still in there!

scoutcamper

Reaction score
As someone who worked in the fuel industry for 3 years(as an IT guy, doing standard IT work AND working on the fuel monitoring systems), let me just say, STAY AWAY from slow stations. ALL tanks in the ground and in the air leak. In this case, the tanks in the ground can easily let groundwater seep in, and if they have not invested in monitoring tech the chances of them finding the issues on their own are almost zero. Chevrons, 76's, and Valero's all have this monitoring tech to check for water in fuel. Not that this means the station operator pays attention to this, but at least they know it happened.

Bill, for future reference, most gas station attendants are paid minimum wage, and don't care AT ALL what they do to customers... :(

slowcoupe

Reaction score
WOW this is insane. I've always been leery of where I fill but never thought this could be contaminating fuel. Luckily I live where the tanks are filled 3-4 times a week.

I've filled at the same 2 stations for almost the past 9 years. I see the fuel truck there a few nights a week on my way home but will definitely be more cautious of which stations i'm stopping at on trips.

Latest posts

Members online