Water coming in through the 4x4 shift boot.

AZStang

Reaction score
Every time I go splashing through the rain, the driver's side carpet gets all wet from water coming in around the base of the 4x4 shifter boot. I just replaced the boot and it's no better. I'm thinking now of putting either some RTV or even silicone window caulk around the opening first and then putting the boot back on. Then caulk it again from the outside.

Anyone had this problem and fixed it?

Thanks,
Shawn

AZStang

Reaction score
I believe there is an "inner boot" that seats the steel floor to the shift, just like the manual trans boot has

Yes there is. I just replaced it with a new OEM Ford part and it's still coming in. I can't be the only one with this problem. It hardly ever rains here so I would think others would be experiencing it as well.

Shawn

AZStang

Reaction score
Are you sure that is where it is coming from and not maybe higher up like the trans tunnel plate??

Yes, all the carpet higher up is dry. It's coming in between the boot and the steel floor at the very bottom. I tried some double sided tape before and that seemed to work for a while. I'm going to use a sealant of some sort this time. Just not sure if I should use an automotive product or a household silicone window caulk.

Shawn

AZStang

Reaction score
Does the "body" side of the boot mount on the outside of the cab?

It's not supposed to, but that might be an idea. There are really two boots in the assembly. The outer one is what you see from the driver's seat and then there is an inner one that does the weather proofing. You would need to figure out some way to attach it though.

When do we get to see some pictures of your new truck!

Shawn

newman

Reaction score
It's not supposed to, but that might be an idea. There are really two boots in the assembly. The outer one is what you see from the driver's seat and then there is an inner one that does the weather proofing. You would need to figure out some way to attach it though.

When do we get to see some pictures of your new truck!

Shawn

When I get home I'll mob some water and see if mine leaks. Then i'll pull it apart and see how it is installed. Then I'll pu it back together and go mob the water again to see if I messed it up.

Its the Red ECSB that was for sale on APG:toast:

AZStang

Reaction score
When I get home I'll mob some water and see if mine leaks. Then i'll pull it apart and see how it is installed. Then I'll pu it back together and go mob the water again to see if I messed it up.

Its the Red ECSB that was for sale on APG:toast:

Thanks! I assume you're kidding there with that plan. I'm probably just going too fast in too deep of water. I can't help it though as the kids really like it.;)

I've seen those pictures that the PO posted. When are you going to post pictures?

Shawn

SPEEDDEMON31176

Reaction score
If you are in water that deep that the water is getting forced in through that boot then you aren't too far away from soaking your PCM. Just food for thought.

Pstroke96

Reaction score
ive powerwashed the underside of my truck and didnt have any water come in, how it the boot attached to the body? maybe theres a seal missing?

AZStang

Reaction score
ive powerwashed the underside of my truck and didnt have any water come in, how it the boot attached to the body? maybe theres a seal missing?

There is the hard plastic housing that sits on the floor of the cab with the four sheet metal screws in the corners. Then there is a thick rubber part that fits inside the hard plastic housing that serves as the seal between the floor and the hard plastic housing and the shifter. My original rubber seal was all cracked and falling apart so I replaced the entire assembly with a new Ford part thinking that would do it.

You can kind of see it all here:
http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-36072-oem-transfer-case-shifter-boot.html

Shawn

newman

Reaction score
Thanks! I assume you're kidding there with that plan. I'm probably just going too fast in too deep of water. I can't help it though as the kids really like it.;)

I've seen those pictures that the PO posted. When are you going to post pictures?

Shawn

I would try it but life is so busy right now I don't have time.

I don't have any good pics yet. I doesn't even have plates yet.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.379945004436.155899.548129436#!/photo.php?fbid=10150263881809437&set=a.379945004436.155899.548129436&type=1&theater

Latest posts

Members online