Weird CEL..... no powertrain codes...

ToMang07

Reaction score
So riding home today, the truck briefly hick-up'd, dash lights came on and gauges went dead for a second, (like it has been doing, I was suspecting a CPS) except this time the engine did NOT cut out. It just hick-up'd and kept going. Except the CEL came on...and stayed on. First time this has happened since I got the truck.

So after charging the laptop...

I checked for codes. NO p-codes. The ones I DID have were all "Hybrid Electronic Cluster" codes.... GEM codes. :doh:

U1059 - SCP (J-1850) Invalid or Missing Data for Transmission/Transaxle/PRNDL

C1284 - Oil Pressure Switch Failure

U1027 - SCP (J-1850) Invalid or Missing Data for Engine RPM

U1262 - SCP (J-1850) Communication Bus Fault

B1352 - Ignition Key-In Circuit Failure

ToMang07

Reaction score
Ok, so update time:

I changed the CPS on Wednesday from the black one to the recall/grey one.... drove fine for a couple days until this morning....and once again driving the engine just shut off. I slap it into neutral, it won't re-start. I quickly (while rolling at 50mph) turn the key off/on and it starts back up like normal.

This is just a really weird issue. I'm going to start with checking the main harnesses as best I can for any issues. (Fraying/cuts.) I will also check the grounds that I can find....

Does anyone have a list of all the ground locations?

I'm debating removing the chip as well just to rule that out.

Any other ideas?

BigRed97

Reaction score
check to make sure the chip is attached tightly to the PCM board, a loose chip can do all sorts of odd things(including frying your PCM)

ToMang07

Reaction score
check to make sure the chip is attached tightly to the PCM board, a loose chip can do all sorts of odd things(including frying your PCM)

I think I'm going to just remove it and drive it for a little bit, see if it continues. I can remove it pretty easy... install I have to remove the PCM tho. :doh:

ToMang07

Reaction score
I got money on the chip being your issue.

I'm planning on removing it tomorrow to test it.

What would cause it to suddenly cause issues, over a year since I had installed it? As far as I can tell the taps still has it in there tight. And why would re-setting the ignition allow it to restart?

907DAVE

Reaction score
If it glitches out for a split second the computer sometimes has to be re-set by cycling the ignition.

Emulator's cause the computer to do this often, and always takes a key cycle to re-start the engine.

ToMang07

Reaction score
If it glitches out for a split second the computer sometimes has to be re-set by cycling the ignition.

Emulator's cause the computer to do this often, and always takes a key cycle to re-start the engine.

Well... if it turns out to be the chip... I'm going to be having an issue. This would be the second time since I owned it that the chip caused stalling issues. (Last time was when got it, but was cured by losing the "black box" that mounts the PCM. It has been fine since.

Like I said, I'll remove the chip tomorrow :lame: and after I get some miles on it report back. If that cures it... I may go to a flash-programmer or just send in my PCM to be flashed. :cursing:

907DAVE

Reaction score
I dont think this is something losing the chip over. There's a chit ton of people using them without issues. Sometimes all it takes is pulling it out and pushing it back it to fix your problems.

ToMang07

Reaction score
I dont think this is something losing the chip over. There's a chit ton of people using them without issues. Sometimes all it takes is pulling it out and pushing it back it to fix your problems.

Yeah, well, I am NOT ok with a 8,000 lb truck stalling and losing power steering/brakes. Not on the roads up here, it's dangerous as hell.

Hell, one time it did it while I was passing somebody. Unacceptable. :cursing:

Thanks for the input, tho.
:toast:

ToMang07

Reaction score
So.... 350 miles later...

I officially diagnose it as being the chip/connection issue.

For now, I will try to contact PHP tomorrow, and in the mean time start the process of pulling the engine.

Not happy about that.

ToMang07

Reaction score
That sucks to hear ur chip has an issue. I'm sure u checked to make sure it was totally clean when installing the chip.

Yeah, it was very clean. It's been in there for a year now without issue. After I get the engine back in and running without issue I will re-clean it and reinstall, and see what happens. I'm not impressed regardless. :cursing:

ToMang07

Reaction score
Uh... why are you pulling the motor?

To remove the PMRs and install cryod/forged rods, ARP headstuds, 910 springs, new WP/hoses, Melling LPOP, GPs, injector o-rings, Full RR fuel system, and new oil pan. :toast:

smorris

Reaction score
Doesnt matter what kind of chip you have, they all have the same connection. If it moves even a little, it can cause this stall issue. Mine started doing it after probably two or three years of riding around in there. Either it wasnt clean enough to start with, or it wiggled around some. Doesnt take much. Duct tape is your friend. It is possible that the chip could be going bad too. I've had a couple do that. Seems to be random. But if you figure the amount of them that dont go bad, or have issues, its very slim chance that yours is bad. Probably just a bad connection. Make sure that sucker is clean, and tape it in and cover the hole with tape so dust cant get in.

ToMang07

Reaction score
Doesnt matter what kind of chip you have, they all have the same connection. If it moves even a little, it can cause this stall issue. Mine started doing it after probably two or three years of riding around in there. Either it wasnt clean enough to start with, or it wiggled around some. Doesnt take much. Duct tape is your friend. It is possible that the chip could be going bad too. I've had a couple do that. Seems to be random. But if you figure the amount of them that dont go bad, or have issues, its very slim chance that yours is bad. Probably just a bad connection. Make sure that sucker is clean, and tape it in and cover the hole with tape so dust cant get in.

It was taped in pretty good, duct tape over electrical tape. I may ship it to PHP to have them take a look at it. I know the connection is good/clean.

At this point I just suspect the exceptionally crappy roads bounced it enough so it had enough room to move just enough to trip the PCM so it would shut off.

http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx170/ToMang07/0fe97890.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.