Weird No Crank Problem HELP!

Mud digger

Reaction score
Before I discuss my problem I'd like to mention that I have used the search function on this site and Google and have yet to fix my problem, there is a lot of similar problems but none the same. For starters I have a 2004 F250 6.0. When it is very cold outside I'll go to start the truck and it won't even crank, starts fine if it's warm out or if the engine has been running.. Everything buzzes and all the lights come on like always. If I hook my very crappy jump box (this thing wont even jump start my 4-wheeler) to the battery it will crank great and will fire right up. At first I thought it was the batteries so I replaced them. No such luck, I've try other things ive read like unplugging the fan and the glow plug control module, still no crank. I put the key in the run position and jumped the yellow wire with the blue tracer (starter wire on the inside of the right fender) to the positive battery cable and it sparked a few times and then fired up the truck. Hopefully I'm not missing anything that you guys need to know, I would greatly appreciate some help here. Thanks

Mud digger

Reaction score
Also there are no DTCs, battery connections are clean and tight, and the solenoid won't even click

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Try putting the shifter in neutral when it wont crank. May have bad shifter bushings and for some reason the cold affects it more... other than that i dunno. Could still be batteries though too i suppose. Does it do it if you plug the block heater in?

Mud digger

Reaction score
I will try putting it in neutral. The truck has been plugged in. I live in Fairbanks, AK (currently -40F outside) and we run not only a block heater, but an oil and transmission pan heater, and a trickle charger to keep your batteries from draining.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online