Weird sound...exhaust leak?

Strokin95

Reaction score
I have been trying to figure out where the sound is coming from but haven't been able to yet. While I am driving I can hear a "chopping" sound like an exhaust leak, but when I took it to my exhaust guy he said there is no leaks. I can hear it a lot more if I get into the accelerator, just like "chop, chop, chop" sound but it's there just cruising as well just not as loud. Anyone else ever had this problem?

Strokin95

Reaction score
I have a 3" DP to a 4" exhaust, it makes the noise whenever I am driving and I am on the accelerator. It gets louder the more I lean into the pedal.

neverkickn

Reaction score
Have you done anything to the truck recently like a different chip or a new intake? Have you looked under the hood for soot around the turbo/firewall area?

Strokin95

Reaction score
I've had the problem since I bought the truck. It was there even when I first bought it.

Strokin95

Reaction score
Yes, the entire exhaust from the dp back has been checked already, no problems there.

Last edited:

Strokin95

Reaction score
See that's what I was leaning towards too, cuz since I have had it, just seems like the truck is losing its ummpf. I was kind of hoping it wouldn't be something like this, don't have the $$ for injectors any time soon. How would I diagnose this problem more?

Last edited:

91turbogsx

Reaction score
Get a good scanner on it and run a buzz test and contribution test. Do you have a check engine light at all?

91turbogsx

Reaction score
Doesn't necessarily mean you don't have a bad injector with no CEL. Was just curious if it was possibly a bad connection with either an injector or UVCH'S. Those usually throw a code.

Strokin95

Reaction score
I'll take it to my local diesel shop see if they will run the tests tomorrow. Thanks.

neverkickn

Reaction score
Have you checked for pre turbo leaks. There is more to the exhaust system on a turbo vehicle than the down pipe back. I wonder if you don't have a drive pressure leak. If it was bad enough you could definately hear it and it would rob power for sure. Is there soot on the firewall or the collector area at the back of the turbo?

Latest posts

Members online