Welding a custom bumper.

Cdills

Reaction score
I am starting a custom bumper build on my 2009 f350. I am going to have to tack weld the bumper together on the truck. Am I going to be safe to just unhook the batteries while I'm welding to protect the electronics? Or, is there more I need to do prior to welding the bumper on the truck? Any tips offered would be a great help.

Michael10

Reaction score
AS long as the batteries are u hooked u shouldnt hurt any of your computers. I would unhook both tho that away u do not send any type of signal to your computer, and take the chance of frying it.:fordoval:

jdiesel_us

Reaction score
I would unhook both batteries. I welded on a prior truck and cooked the ecm. I had no problem with the ground being good enough to weld with but a computer guru I work with took apart my old ecm and you could see the burn marks on the boards.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
The only time I have seen an issue was with a stick welder in a shop. Ground on the front of the truck, welding on the rear. I have mig welded on hundreds of things without ever having an issue. Never even pulled a batt cable. I alway just keep the ground as close as possible to what I am welding.

STROKEDOUT

Reaction score
Tensixniner glad you posted that from the body builders manual. When Ford went to from the 7.3 to the 6.0 things got complicated with the on board computers. We found out the hard way on a 2004 6.0, fried the instrument cluster. That was 2K later. :doh:

NCfarmboy

Reaction score
The only time I have seen an issue was with a stick welder in a shop. Ground on the front of the truck, welding on the rear. I have mig welded on hundreds of things without ever having an issue. Never even pulled a batt cable. I alway just keep the ground as close as possible to what I am welding.

Bingo, that's the key. I've welded on hundreds of trucks/jeeps. Have a clean ground area, and keep the ground close to what you're welding

Latest posts

Members online