What are you getting for mpg

Arisley

Reaction score
There are places here in TX where the freeway speed limit is 75 MPH. Even some divided highways with crossings are 75 mph. I-20 is 70 mph all the way through Fort Worth and Dallas.

uncool

Reaction score
I average 17.5 in my 255,000 mile 2wd auto, 515 miles per tank. 4" exhaust and napa filter. The other truck, it's smiles per gallon.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
My 7.3 with 373 gears 34" tires will get @ 22mpg on the highway if I keep it at 65mph. Up to 70 the it falls off a lot. That's fairly flat hwy to so I drop @2 mpg going up through the blue ridge mtns or the smokeys.

Overdrive

Reaction score
I have a 2000 zf6 with 4.10 gears and 33s with a dp tuner exhaust and an intake and I'm only getting about 300 miles to a tank. I've changed the oil to t6 and I baby the truck most the time... wHays everyone getting for mpg? And anyone have any hopeful hints that can gain me a few more mpg

Mine averages about 17. Dually 7.3 6 speed 4:10s. Stock size tires. I have a gearvendors overdrive. I'm averaging 17 mpg long trips using the GV. I'm turning 1800 at 75. I had it up to 90 at 2200 in 6 OD it's never running out of RPM but I never really hammered it either. Just once got to 90. My average speeds are 65/70
Without using GV it's maybe in the 14-15 but I use the OD simply to quiet the cab down.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
The 2000 f250 sc/lb 2wd I bought to switch out motors was getting @24 mpg on hwy Bone stock. One of the best running 7.3's I've drove. But I stayed @ 60-65 mph. Seems the strongest 7.3s I've driven had the best performance

benjamindurtka

Reaction score
I get 3+ mpg on my 01 f250 4 door, longbed when I use additives. Marvel mystery oil works best for me. 16 is average 18hwy.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

Brad.S.19

Reaction score
Sclb 305/17r16s m/ts stock height 3:73s auto
6637, frx, bango bolts, pcv rerouted, ebpv d3leted, problematic ebps, ts chip and 237k
With the ts on 75 horse on somewhat level roads and city driving 16.5-18 mpg highway to county rds 55-75 mph I get 17-19.5 100hp in the mtns drops my milage a little bit but other factors play into that. I average 450-575ish to 3/4s of a tank hand calculated.

I use lucas synthetic two stroke 100:1 or power service gray in the summer and power service white or ford winter additive late September till mid April.
10-30 semi syn motorcraft in the winter and 15-40 motorcraft in the summer
Diesel quality is key I only go to irving or shell I only go to high volume locations they're only three stations that I go to. Irving has the best winter blend and shell has a better summer blend imo.

bordo380

Reaction score
The long beds and the duallys have a 38. Gearing and tire size is killing you.

The best way you are going to get the best mileage is keep RPM's below 2000 RPM. Everyday driving with my truck, keeping the max speed around 65. City streets and freeway, I will see about 17. On long trips, I will get over 20 if I keep it below 65. Drove from Downtown Fort Worth to Lubbock, stayed the night, drove to our stores there the next day, stayed the night and back to Downtown Fort Worth the next day. On one tank of fuel. Granted, before I left Fort Worth, I filled up my truck to the point that I squished a little bit out when I put the fuel cap on it.

Drove in my Tow tune, and paid attention to the RPM's.

I am driving a little Dodge Durango right now for work. With a 4.7 V8 in it. Sucky performance, 15 MPG everyday driving. Now when I get on a long trip, it does a lot better, at 75 MPH, she sips the fuel. Drove from Fort Worth to Frankston (south of Tyler) all freeway and got almost 30 MPG.

I wish I could get this mileage. I get 14 or so dry in my Excursion.

Dirtclod

Reaction score
I'm going to get a ts chip for my 01. Everyone says it will give better mpg,s. Those of running this chip which setting gives the best fuel mileage?

Arisley

Reaction score
If I was going with a new chip, I would get one that I could load tunes onto myself. I would not tie myself to a TS chip, a TS style chip would do it. I also would not get TS tunes on it. I would get Tony Wildman tunes, Gear-head tunes, or one of the other very good tuners that are sponsors on this forum.

bordo380

Reaction score
I'm going to get a ts chip for my 01. Everyone says it will give better mpg,s. Those of running this chip which setting gives the best fuel mileage?

I have the TS. It's great for simplicity as I was in a hurry. It's my first diesel so I had/have a lot to learn. It was dog off the line so the TS helped a ton. After being locked out in OD I don't think it has much effect.
I was fooled by the onboard mpg meter before I installed, so I don't have before and after data.
I like to fool with things so a programmer I can change would be fun. If you want it set and done the TS is is great. Like Arisley said it would be good to get a custom tune.

Latest posts

Members online