What became the conclusion of 7.3 cams?

ghohouston

Reaction score
Did anyone ever figure out if Matts/ Lotts cam's are worth the money? Did anyone ever actually JUST do a cam swap back to back with a stock one? I've done my share of reading up on it, seems the results were positive with lowering drive pressure and egt's, and there were also lots of skeptics. I see there is a d.i. hot street cam for sale right now, and wondering if i should jump on it before i put my motor back in.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Did anyone ever figure out if Matts/ Lotts cam's are worth the money? Did anyone ever actually JUST do a cam swap back to back with a stock one? I've done my share of reading up on it, seems the results were positive with lowering drive pressure and egt's, and there were also lots of skeptics. I see there is a d.i. hot street cam for sale right now, and wondering if i should jump on it before i put my motor back in.

Seems drive pressure us lowered enough its causing spoolup issues for some

Powerstroker7.3

Reaction score
I did a full build when I did my cam swap but my 75 mm turbo spools very close to stock. I have tower 10k plus with it and never had egt issues or driving problems. I think they work but cannot throw out any real numbers just what I feel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TARM

Reaction score
Cam tech is fairly well understood and there is almost never a OEM cam that can not be tweaked for specific goals. But just like with gassers the stock is usually the middle ground. You typically have to give something up to get something when you move from stock.

If I was to pick a cam as I might be doing in the next year it would be from Matt or Swamps. I know Matt personally and he is a very intelligent guy. Dave at swamps is one of the most learned and smart people when it comes to the 7.3 and when he says something I listen. Anyways thats all I got for input. The best thing is to talk to the those guys and voice your concerns and ask the right questions.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I did a full build when I did my cam swap but my 75 mm turbo spools very close to stock. I have tower 10k plus with it and never had egt issues or driving problems. I think they work but cannot throw out any real numbers just what I feel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats insane! Its obviously working well for you.

Reaction score
I've got a couple grinds that work very well. For example powerstrokers truck.
You don't need to do a back to back comparison with stock to see they work. Simply look at the specs on these stock 7.3 cams they choke the motor. There is huge room for power potential from cams. They are inexpensive in the big picture of building a motor so why not.
I'm not going to argue the point any more. If anybody would like to speak technical feel free to pm me

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

96F350KID

Reaction score
My pull truck did 620hp on the dyno in 2014. When the motor blew I ended up swapping in another stock short block with 360k on it and just changed the cam to a Colt Stage 2. Mid range grunt was increased and the dyno showed a 50hp increase putting me to 670hp. Being a manual truck with a 1.10 housing turbo spool was still the same.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.