What common issues are there with the 6.7s?

2mcclr

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking into getting rid of the 6.4 and getting a 6.7. Before I do though, I wanted to get a feel for potential problems. I know the 6.7s are supposed to be a major upgrade over the 6.4s from a reliability standpoint but all trucks have their issues. Also, what kind of warranty do these things have? Is it 5yr/100k power train just like the 6.4s? Thanks in advance!

Buck1

Reaction score
Neighbors truck is getting ready for LPFP# 3. 17 K miles. Not sure what is up there. My 11 has 210k on it and still on original pump so far.

sootie

Reaction score
job 1 2011's had valve cracking issues and transmission valve body/solenoid problems

Platinum250Scorpion

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking into getting rid of the 6.4 and getting a 6.7. Before I do though, I wanted to get a feel for potential problems. I know the 6.7s are supposed to be a major upgrade over the 6.4s from a reliability standpoint but all trucks have their issues. Also, what kind of warranty do these things have? Is it 5yr/100k power train just like the 6.4s? Thanks in advance!
c464e41a5e5986bda0575439ca9a34af.jpg

The pictured thread & a buddy havin issues with his Sync/radio not wanting to work until he dis/reconnected his batteries make me say electrical has some bugs. The Charge Air Cooler/intercooler tube likes to blow out since it's plastic. But, H&S Motorsports makes a upgrade steel pipe. I've also heard of the radiators cracking (plastic ends) & guys replacing them with a Mishimoto. And, I've heard of '11s & '12s having turbo issues. I had the issue with my CAC on my '11 450 (> 120k mi) & automatically upgraded my '14 250 (28k mi) when I deleted n tuned it. But, knock on wood, I haven't had any other issues with either of mine. I heard a light ticking comin from the oil pan after the last oil change. But, come to find out that's not out of the norm & it's just a new sound because the engine's so quiet. It has to do with the oil/clearances in the bottom end & Ford says to not worry about it. It went away after a while. Since, I consider it a disappointing nature of the beast, I don't call it an issue. But, I wanted to mention it anyway.

2mcclr

Reaction score
What kind of fuel mileage are you guys seeing with your trucks? And how about the warranty?

Squat and Poot

Reaction score
I'm averaging 18.0 mpg and I work construction so lots of stop/go and idle time. But you have to get deletes/tunes to see that.

not sure on warranty as mine was expired on purchase

dbow16

Reaction score
When looking for one, probably 2013 or newer, how many miles is too high before looking away? Is there a good rule of thumb?

Platinum250Scorpion

Reaction score
What kind of fuel mileage are you guys seeing with your trucks? And how about the warranty?
I see 16s driving mostly on base 20-30mph constant stop n go & short trips; yuck. Haven't had this one but a couple months. So, I'm not sure I'm remembering right but, I think cruising at 75-80mph got me 18-19mpg from SC-MO-KS-MO-KS for New Years leave. Though, I haven't taken the time to actually crunch the numbers. So, that's based off of the lie-o-meter. Also, that's DPF deleted, EGR still on but shut off, SCT Livewire 175hp tune, S&B intake, H&S Motorsports CAC Tube, & 35s on stock 20s... with 3.55s :( . I want some 3.73s in thar.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
I must be fortunate. I've had none of the problems listed.

It's an emissions engine. I would look for an honest man that has a family who uses the truck properly and saw the need to delete it when it was new. That will be your absolute best bet.

Not a drag truck or one with a "stance"

And if possible. Look them up on social media. If the truck has been abused. THEY WILL HAVE BRAGGED ABOUT IT SOME WHERE. LOL

I love reading for sale posts about how meticulously they maintained their truck and you read through their posts or Facebook and find out how they royally thrashed the truck or car! ....

If your going to be so nervous to buy based on what you've read so far in this post then a 6.7 is not for you. Too much to go wrong. You literally have to have the mindset and understanding that with THIS much ELECTRONICS on a vibrating diesel engine. Something is bound to shake lose from time to time.

The guys that complain about BMW or MERCEDES expect a maintenance experience like a Volkswagen rabbit.

Platinum250Scorpion

Reaction score
I completely agree with ya CATDiesel & am glad ya shed the positive light. As for me and my long posts, I posted all those issues because I like to know all the tidbits I can.

Me, personally, I have some fun cause it's there to be had. But, that's only once in a while to let it stretch its legs & I respect the line of pushing vs beating. I also don't race it, do burn outs or brake stands, or break wt limits, maintenance intervals, etc. My truck is my daily driver and I trust my 6.7 will be there for me because I treat it like I do... full circle deal.

I know some guys that are pushing these 6.7s way beyond their intended use and they're holding up. But, I'll let them find those limits lol.

I asked the dealers' service depts what they thought and they said, push em once in a while/don't baby em & keep up on your maintenance (mainly fuel & oil, basics) & ya should be good. In the end, I love & trust mine for years to come & say get one if ya want one. And, the only issue I've had was the CAC Tube on my 450 w/ 120k mi & it's a cheap and easy fix.

Just btw, I came from a 7.3 XLT up to a 6.7 KR & now a Platinum just over a year ago. So, I made quite the jump in electrical systems/overall platforms. I reckon I still haven't gotten near the full grasp on the jump I made. I'm just trying to get info that I have out there. But, I'll be the first to admit I'm behind the learning curve. That's actually why I'm on here. ...tryin not to step on any toes, nice ones at least lol

CATDiezel

Reaction score
I completely agree with ya CATDiesel & am glad ya shed the positive light. As for me and my long posts, I posted all those issues because I like to know all the tidbits I can.

Me, personally, I have some fun cause it's there to be had. But, that's only once in a while to let it stretch its legs & I respect the line of pushing vs beating. I also don't race it, do burn outs or brake stands, or break wt limits, maintenance intervals, etc. My truck is my daily driver and I trust my 6.7 will be there for me because I treat it like I do... full circle deal.

I know some guys that are pushing these 6.7s way beyond their intended use and they're holding up. But, I'll let them find those limits lol.

I asked the dealers' service depts what they thought and they said, push em once in a while/don't baby em & keep up on your maintenance (mainly fuel & oil, basics) & ya should be good. In the end, I love & trust mine for years to come & say get one if ya want one. And, the only issue I've had was the CAC Tube on my 450 w/ 120k mi & it's a cheap and easy fix.

Just btw, I came from a 7.3 XLT up to a 6.7 KR & now a Platinum just over a year ago. So, I made quite the jump in electrical systems/overall platforms. I reckon I still haven't gotten near the full grasp on the jump I made. I'm just trying to get info that I have out there. But, I'll be the first to admit I'm behind the learning curve. That's actually why I'm on here. ...tryin not to step on any toes, nice ones at least lol

No toes stepped on here!! The issues you posted are true. I was just saying it's part of owning a driving computer in the element!

Platinum250Scorpion

Reaction score
Cool, yeah, gotchya there

V/r, a Vet' that's gone from a 7.3 to a 6.7 tryin to gather info, be chill, & help out when I can. New to the 6.7 & PSA. Please excuse my potential FNG ways.

Platinum250Scorpion

Reaction score
these trucks have a warranty? i thought it was called a denied warranty?

live life full throttle
The problem with the warranty is it includes having the DPF installed and that was somethin I couldn't live with; for the truck's sake. I did read though that the 6.7 has a computer that stores things like DPF deleting & once it's done, there's no just putting it back on to get warranty work done.

V/r, a Vet' that's gone from a 7.3 to a 6.7 tryin to gather info, be chill, & help out when I can. New to the 6.7 & PSA. Please excuse my potential FNG ways.

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
I have almost 30k on mine, a 2013 CC/LB all stock. It's been back to Ford for 2 sensors so far, both covered under warranty. I have a great relationship with my dealer, so don't see any issues with warranty claims in the future. As far as mpg's go, I think mine does excellent on fuel for a 10k, 172" wheelbase truck. I do a combined city/highway drive and average around 16mpg on winter fuel. In the summer, it averages around 18mpg. On drives down the shore (90 miles 1 way) I have seen 20-21mpg at 70-72mph. This is much better then my F150 Ecoboost truck.

CatD brings up awesome points about buying used trucks. You really have to know what you're buying and use your judgement. If it were me, I would stay away from deleted trucks or "stance" rides. Best of luck in your search. These trucks are awesome, you'll love it!

Latest posts

Members online