what do you think is going on?

KingRanch6.0L

Reaction score
My cousin has a 1999 f250 4x4 7.3l and has a 6 position chip on it.

He black smokes alot and with his chip all the way up i still burn him with my stock tune.

I dont know that much about the 7.3L as far as trouble shooting.

I would guess his turbo is shot. He has 225K on his truck.

David N

Reaction score
A 7.3 with just a chip... Is not fast. Or quick. Or anything like that. LOL

He might be making 300 horsepower. Not really a power machine.

KingRanch6.0L

Reaction score
I know try telling that to him. I told him to take it and see if if gets any codes but he ran it outta diesel today cuz his gauge was off

Arisley

Reaction score
Why is he thinking the turbo is out, because of the smoke.

That is a simple one to check. Pull the intake off. With the enging off spin the wheel, it should spin freely. Remove fingers and start the truck. Wheel shoud spin.

JLDickmon

Reaction score
this would be one to scan and gfet data, but it's probably just a garden variety 7.3.. they're slugs..

and yes, they do respond very well to mods, but a chip by itself is not a mod..
that's Windows 7.3 waiting for installation.

exhaust, intake, probably a new HPOP (at that mileage, found out today mine is getting weak)
GAUGES

then have that chip custom programmed at a dyno day or something..

DocBar

Reaction score
A 7.3 with just a chip... Is not fast. Or quick. Or anything like that. LOL

He might be making 300 horsepower. Not really a power machine.
I tried running a modded 6.0 with my truck after getting an SCT, intake and exhaust put in and it was just plain embarassing. I couldn't get out of my own way, much less the 6.0's. Injectors, turbo and fuel system upgrades are a minimum for a 7.3 to even compare to a 6.0. HPOP upgrades would be a definite plus.

farmall99

Reaction score
I've seen my reg. cab 2wd pull away from stock 6.0's and 6.4's and hold its own with a couple tuned 6.0's. :)

Flame suit on LOL

jkidd_39

Reaction score
Why is he thinking the turbo is out, because of the smoke.

That is a simple one to check. Pull the intake off. With the enging off spin the wheel, it should spin freely. Remove fingers and start the truck. Wheel shoud spin.

I laughed at this post. I think it's very much against darwin to tell someone to check the wheel with the engine off. If they are simple enough to stick there hand in the wheel then well.. there is no helping them.

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
I laughed at this post. I think it's very much against darwin to tell someone to check the wheel with the engine off. If they are simple enough to stick there hand in the wheel then well.. there is no helping them.

LOL warnings were made by people doing dumb scit. C4 says not for human consumption on the wrapper.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
that would just be bad!! ive been fiddling around with stuf while the truck was idling and the intake was off and my sleeve got sucked in and i realized it as soon as it started and pulled my arm back just in time!! not cool...

i have a 6 position ts on my 2001 rclb with a zf6 and had a bone stock 1st gen duramax with 330,000 miles on it leave me on the freeway... yes its a big ***in turd... i have my heavy azz dually that will flat move out and not to many trucks or cars for that matter can keep up with it around these parts...

im guessing your cousin has a chit tone of oil soaked leaking ic boots also... honestly, unless its still factory everything with a chip it will smoke. thats how my rclb was... i did the diy intake and 4" turbo back exhaust and it barely smokes now.... and thats with leaking uppies and a oil soaked boots leaking engine.

live life full throttle

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
i have a 6 position ts on my 2001 rclb with a zf6 and had a bone stock 1st gen duramax with 330,000 miles on it leave me on the freeway... yes its a big ***in turd... i have my heavy azz dually that will flat move out and not to many trucks or cars for that matter can keep up with it around these parts...

live life full throttle

Outta curiosity, about what hp/tq are you putting down in the dually?

Reaction score
to the op you could also just turn the chip all the way down or off. Then see how it smokes. Make sure you check the air filter also. If it still smokes bad i would check the turbo out by tryin to shake the turbo shaft up and down and in and out.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
fair enough. Thanks:thumbsup:

dont use those numbers to say that an identical setup will make the same thing. it is by far the norm.. bean and johnathan both said it should only be a max 450hp setup.

possible yes, but not probable.

live life full throttle

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
My lips are sealed :p

I was just curious to know what kinda hp in these trucks will give others a run for their money is all.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.