What else causes romps and very low power on first startup?

Arisley

Reaction score
Nope, it made it idle rough and when it was the least bit low it would romp on starts.

My truck always smokes a bit on startup. For sure not low on power.

Carolina444

Reaction score
Mine started a hard romp last week and it wouldn't backup my kinda steep driveway. Its always felt sluggish in mornings but not like this. Once it warms up it runs fine and white smoke stops

Carolina444

Reaction score
Nope, it made it idle rough and when it was the least bit low it would romp on starts.

My truck always smokes a bit on startup. For sure not low on power.

I logged some data today if you wanna take a look.. Maybe you can find something. Send a email

mandkole

Reaction score
put the data file into excel format and attach to a post..

My truck has romped just like that -- its been suggested to check grounds, batt connections as it could be an IDM turning on/off. Ive not had it do it since (to see it on the scanner), but when I typically have issues its when its sat for 2-3 weeks at a time-- on first start, the starter speed is lazy and the batts usually will drain some.

I now keep it on trickle and Ive tried to closely manage the charge voltage--it has not done it since.

These things can be a mystery...

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
does your truck run better after it warms up if so your oil is a tad to thick and its delaying the fuel being injected causing the no power effect.have your solinoids been modified on the hot side.if not all you have to do is your machine shop to cut a groove on the hot side.this gives the oil a place to drain off the end of the spool valve and eliminating the suction pocket that is created because of the thicker oil.
tbis isnt a 6.0 with spool valves...
Rotella 15w40
ewww... rotella is ***in junk... id piss in my engine before i ran that ever again
My truck absolutely hated Rotella. Switch to Delo or Valvoline. Bet it does better.
whs!

live life full throttle

TyCorr

Reaction score
Synthetic is a waste...flat out...if you understand why you wouldn't have asked nor would you need a recommendation on a brand. Im not being a crank, let me explain.

These trucks beat, shear, and ruin oil. That said if you run a ton of miles, the oil gets changed often. If you run 50k per year it MAY be worth going the syn route. But that includes all the bs required to do extended oci's (yuck).

That said, ive ran synthetic, it had benefits for sure. Namely the lack of romping at cold startup. I dont mean 30 deg or even 20. If it 10 or less it was nice to go out, run the gp one cycle and break the truck off. No romping.

All things considered, I went back to delo 15-40 with a lubrifiner oil filter and forget the rest.

Carolina444

Reaction score
Looks like the new tunes I was running was pulling out to much timing at startup and idle causing the smoke and low power.. Runs much better now, I will be changing oil soon to see if that also helps.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Looks like the new tunes I was running was pulling out to much timing at startup and idle causing the smoke and low power.. Runs much better now, I will be changing oil soon to see if that also helps.
i just mentioned tbat the other day in another thread.. ghess i didnt think of it here...

live life full throttle

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Update: switched over to delo and truck starts up a tad faster and idles noticeably smoother. Thanks for the advice!!
Arisley swears by valvoline and i swear by Delo! only thing i run in my 7.3s is delo! we both, as did many others, had issues and those where the oils that fixed our issues so thats what we run.. synthetic isnt realy a waste. just depends on how you look at it.. i had identical good luck with amsoil and delo. so for me i stuck with delo.. i always idled the dually in the winter a lot so i changed the oil every 2500miles. i can buy almost 2 oil changes worth of delo for the price of one amsoil and my cousin is a dealer and i get it at his cost.. so thats why i stuck with delo.. if its above 40° then i switch over to 5k oci's..

Arisley hates amsoil... figured id beet him to it..

live life full throttle

Carolina444

Reaction score
I was going to try the valoline but parts store didn't have enough.. May try it next but I'm forever done with rotella

Latest posts