What exactly can not be done cab on?

AllanB

Reaction score
I see a lot of guys asking can you do this, or can you do that without pulling the cab. I am looking at steadly bumping up the HP and it will not be long before I will need studs. Will not be long before I will be running the 71mm atmo with Race X, that itself might be enough to warrant studs. Just to save the arguement about that. Yes I know it can be done with cab on. But IMO not correctly. Need the heads checked and new gaskets. So with that being said. What else needs to be done while I have the cab off, that absolutley can not be done cab on correctly? Open to all opinions. It is one of those things I don't want to do a lot, so while I am there I want to do what is needed. Thanks

AllanB

Reaction score
I forgot to add this. The next question will be. What are your plans for your truck? It will be a street truck, pushing around 600hp to 650hp 2wd daily driver, no towing.

pog

Reaction score
Don't know if I read that right but studs can be done properly or "correctly" cab on.

White_monster

Reaction score
Every job can be done correctly cab on bro. I'm not sure where your finding it's wrong to do it cab on. But if the cabs up do anything in the short block if you want as it will be easier. Things like injectors and pushrods can be done cab on easily.

pog

Reaction score
I forgot to add this. The next question will be. What are your plans for your truck? It will be a street truck, pushing around 600hp to 650hp 2wd daily driver, no towing.

For that hp range I'd do like you said 71 atmo, studs, egr delete, 6.0 manifolds, up pipes, cac pipe and then save up for a trans and call it a day.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
If you have the means to pull it, then just save up and do it all at once. Regardless of which way you do it there is a good amout of labor time to get to the "goodies" your trying to replace.

I like cab off, but thats just because my big ass arms don't fit nicely in smaller places

AllanB

Reaction score
Every job can be done correctly cab on bro. I'm not sure where your finding it's wrong to do it cab on. But if the cabs up do anything in the short block if you want as it will be easier. Things like injectors and pushrods can be done cab on easily.

So, I can actually get the head off and have it checked for flatness with cab on? I was always under the impression that you could do it cab on but you could not remove the head or change the gasket, that you just change the studs one at a time.

For that hp range I'd do like you said 71 atmo, studs, egr delete, 6.0 manifolds, up pipes, cac pipe and then save up for a trans and call it a day.

You pretty much nailed my parts list. No Limit Intercooler and piping, Steed manifolds, Elite or . I will knock the EGR out this month and then last thing pull the trans from the truck in the avitar, send them both back to BTS, change the tail housing and whatever else they need to do.

AllanB

Reaction score

So, I can actually get the head off and have it checked for flatness with cab on? I was always under the impression that you could do it cab on but you could not remove the head or change the gasket, that you just change the studs one at a time.

For that hp range I'd do like you said 71 atmo, studs, egr delete, 6.0 manifolds, up-pipes, cac pipe and then save up for a trans and call it a day.

You pretty much nailed my parts list. 71mm Atmo, No Limit Intercooler and piping, Steed manifolds, Elite H 11's or ARP's whichever I can get my hands on when the time comes. I will knock the EGR out this month and then last thing pull the trans from the truck in the avitar, send them both back to BTS, change the tail housing and whatever else they need to do.

jdgleason

Reaction score
Yes, you can pull the heads cab on. The last headbolt closest to the firewall, at the bottom, on the driver's side is a royal pain but it's do able.

blk350on20s

Reaction score
Little trick for the back studs is rubber banding them together so they arent that bad to get in. Little 6.0 trick

AllanB

Reaction score
Well I just be damn, never heard this before. I thought I had read just about every post on this site involving the 6.4ltr. I guess what leaves myself and probably many more people confused is there has always been the big arguement about removing 1 stud at a time and not changing the gaskets. I guess I just assumed that was the only way it was done cab on. This is good news, means I can do this myself and save the labor charge.

blk350on20s

Reaction score
Well the argument was if it was done in time or not. If a gasket has already failed, the stud will do no good. Its not easy doing cab on but once you get a lot of the bs out of the way its pretty open

AllanB

Reaction score
That is what I had in mind. Just keep pulling stuff out of the way untill I get it opened up enough to work with it. Thanks for the tip on the back stud.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
the rubber band trick, is for if you remove the heads, cab on.

you would put the studs in the hole, but before they poke out the bottom of the head, you would rubber band two together, so they "bind", and not fall all the way through, thus getting in your way when sliding the head back on.

if your doin one at a time, there really is no trick. get stuff out of the way, have a couple extra sockets handy, case you break one, which you probably will, and knock it out.

AllanB

Reaction score
Gotcha guys. Thanks for all the help. Sounds like I need to jump on this before I go any further. I have never puked, so I should be good to go doing them one at a time. Thanks for all the help.

Dustball8504

Reaction score
I'm going to be doing one at a time also but I'll be pulling the cab since I have my own lift lol. If it fails it'll be a winter project to redo it since the truck sits all winter anyway. Mine is an 08 and just turned 55k miles with no signs of puking. Also it never had more than a 250 tune until I bought it at 47k (previous owner only had up to 250 in the Spartan).

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.