What Ford told me...

bigdirty

Reaction score
Alright my truck has had some pretty bad cold starts, buck, jerk and tons of white smoke smells like very rich diesel fuel, it will burn your eyes. So I take it to Ford to have an injector test done... It passes every test they try, the service writer tells me he thinks my tune is over fueling the engine. He also says that since the truck was warm the injectors may operate fine. He goes on to say i should leave the truck with him and have them run a test when its cold. As we continue to talk he asks me what tunes i have, i tell him Eric's, he is familiar with him and says he doesn't think the tune would cause over fueling?? Its pretty obvious when the truck is started cold there is something not right. So my questions are can injectors only be tested accurately when they are cold? Any thoughts?

bigdirty

Reaction score
Always motorcraft and yes i plugged it in last night and barely any smoke, when its not plugged in and started cold you can smell and see smoke before you can see the truck, FICM, glow plugs and battery's all tested good. I also added Rev-x :fustrate:

DMAX

Reaction score
You could try a 10w/30 but I doubt it will help much, like said probably bad spool valves. Injectors probably need flow testing.

Zmann

Reaction score
sometimes stiction will clear when warmed up and it will not be detectable as an injector issue to a scanner
so the Dealer is correct

Charles

Reaction score
Ask him (or anybody) how you "overfuel" a diesel at idle/part throttle without the engine rpm climbing....

If a diesel receives more fuel, it makes more power. The engine rotating assembly only has _____ amount of drag. If the truck is still at idle rpm, then it's burning no more fuel than stock to accomplish that idle. If more fuel was injected, the rpm would rise.

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
Try running a 5w-40 in the winter like the valvoline extreme blue full synthetic.

exactly what I just did. my truck ran like ass when cold with 15w40 dino in it. just put in EPB in two weeks ago and on a cold start, it idles muuuuuch better. i still need to put some rev-x in but a thinner oil will help a ton. also, you need to be pulling 48v on the FICM while you're cranking, not just running.

bigdirty

Reaction score
Truck ran fine this morning not plugged and on stock tuning no smoke/jerk. So this leads me to point the finger of blame towards the tuning, when tuned is starts and runs like dog sh1t till warm. Not sure where to go from here not very happy with my tunes :fustrate: Should i try to talk to IDP? Id rather not run stock tuning

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
Do you just have the 1 IDP tune? I'd give Eric a call and tell him whats going on. The guys at IDP are great to deal with. I'd also try another tune, even if its the canned SCT tunes.

MUDSTROKIN'

Reaction score
Truck ran fine this morning not plugged and on stock tuning no smoke/jerk. So this leads me to point the finger of blame towards the tuning, when tuned is starts and runs like dog sh1t till warm. Not sure where to go from here not very happy with my tunes :fustrate: Should i try to talk to IDP? Id rather not run stock tuning

Well there's a start. I'd say talk to eric and see what he can help you with

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
Your tranny will probably shift a little funny till its warm while you're runnin' a tune. Remember, it has to be reprogrammed as well to handle all the extra HP. the fluid doesn't flow near as well cold and the tunes require extra line pressure.

Latest posts

Members online