What is going on with my transmission?

Wildjon

Reaction score
Truck has been fine all day today. Installed a new filter and Sonnax Tricumulator/sure cure 2 weeks ago. Romped on it from stop to 65mph just before I got home and noticed this whine when I got home. Does it in park and neutral, RPM dependent, and goes away in drive unless decelerating using "engine braking". Truck still shifts fine through all gears being gentle on it, too afraid to beat on her anymore.

Here's the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcTq8XtZDA8

Wildjon

Reaction score
Well, I limped it to a transmission shop today. Owner kept thinking it was turbo...:confused: Noise was still there exactly the same as yesterday, and gave me advice to drive it until it gets worse. :cursing:

So I came home and yanked the inspection plate. No obvious cracks to the flywheel, nor was the starter hanging. Still no obvious metal flakes in the fluid. Trans still shifts perfectly. I'm very hesitant to pull it, but planning on it this weekend. Hopefully Mark K sees one of the three posts I have and can weigh in on it.

7.3 Cowboy

Reaction score
My dads Internatoinal 4900 with Allison wines and has for the last 3 three months of pulling equipment everyday. One day it was a quart low so we found some motorkote hyperlube and it wines way less.

Wildjon

Reaction score
Whine is has gotten quieter, which scares me. Makes me think that something is trying clearance itself...I pulled a half pint of transmission fluid from the pan. No metal flakes, fluid is nice and red. Im stumped, hopefully BTS gets a chance to see the video sometime soon and has an idea.

Wildjon

Reaction score
Newest update...the whine went away, came back really loud in OD while cruising around 45-50mph. Truck downshifted and whine went away. The whine was very steady, and even my wife noticed it. Still clean fluid. Still no idea, as I can't get it to replicate when I am trying to get a trans guy to look at it.

Wildjon

Reaction score
Update:
Yanked the pan off just a minute ago and found this...F***! The fluid at the bottom also looked sparkly, just cant get the camera to pick it up.

Edit, when I took the pan off the first time to put the shift kit in I cleaned the hell out of it. Just had a little dark stuff on the bottom, but nothing like this.

2013-07-07140534_zpsab44a173.jpg

2013-07-07140458_zps97e5ad20.jpg

Last edited:

Wildjon

Reaction score
Update,

Yanked pump, all was good. Changed seal and torque converter to a triple clutch billet unit. So far all is well (knocking furiously on wood) except for my dipstick. Didn't check it when I was dropping the tranny and managed to bend the mounting bracket enough to yank a hole in it. Anyone know the part number to replace it?

smitty4605

Reaction score
Mine makes a sound while driving between1500-2000 rpm. I still haven't figured it out. Im wondering if I have the the same problem as you.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.