What kind of alternator should I go with?

brkncly

Reaction score
I guess my alternator is going bad . Need advice on which brand, OEM vs. aftermarket, should I upgrade to a high output one, new vs. re-manufactured one and where to buy one. It's an 2008 6.4 F-350. Thanks!

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
Additional question... Is the wiring and such factory in the truck sufficient to handle a big high output alternator or should some of the wiring be upgraded?

08BIGRIG

Reaction score
370 Amps is WAY over kill!! Don't spend extra money that you don't have to. The trucks come stock with a 200A alternator and if you run certin duel fueler kits, you have to run a 130A alternator. I have ran the smaller alternator for a good bit now and have 0 issues with charging. I use all my options everyday as well and never any issues. A/C, power everything, heated seats, etc. The 6.4l has the largest alternator that comes on a Powerstroke and is oversized by a good bit to help people that run snow plows. I just don't think that its worth putting any extra money into something that does nothing and is total overkill. Also you are putting a little more load on the motor with the larger alternator as well. Just food for thought I guess, but to each their own.

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
Quick one... Your saying we have to go down in alternator size if we wanna run dual fuelers?

Also I was thinking big because the expeditioning thread got me wanting to take my truck "remote camping" if you will. A big alt will allow for a secondary battery system to charge up really quickly.

08BIGRIG

Reaction score
Quick one... Your saying we have to go down in alternator size if we wanna run dual fuelers?

Also I was thinking big because the expeditioning thread got me wanting to take my truck "remote camping" if you will. A big alt will allow for a secondary battery system to charge up really quickly.

Only on certin duel fuelers you have to do that. There are some out there that you don't have to go smaller. Elite's and Midwest diesel are two kits that you don't have to go smaller with.

skobiak

Reaction score
I thought high output alternators were more for guys running powerful aftermarket stereos and lots of electronics in their vehicles.

08BIGRIG

Reaction score
This is off all data. Most 6.4L trucks only come with a 135amp alternator. I stand corrected.

Your Vehicle: 2008 Ford Truck F 250 4WD Super Duty V8-6.4L DSL Turbo

Vehicle » Starting and Charging » Charging System » Alternator » Description and Operation » Charging System - General Information

Charging System - General Information

GENERATOR

The single generator system consists of the generator mounted on the bottom right of the engine (diesel) or top center of the engine (gas). The gas engines use a 3G 115-amp generator with a 2.71:1 pulley ratio. The 6.4L diesel engine uses a SC1 135-amp generator with a 2.79:1 pulley ratio.

The dual generator package consists of an upper/lower dual generator system. The 6.4L upper generator is a 4G 120-amp generator with a 3.00:1 pulley ratio. The 6.4L lower generator is a SC5 200-amp generator with a 2.79:1 pulley ratio. The upper and lower generators are not interchangeable.

A option is available (6.4L diesel only) that includes a SC5 200-amp generator with a 2.79:1 pulley ratio. The SC1 and the SC5 are similar in appearance and use the same connectors, making them interchangeable. Identification between the different generators can be carried out by referring to the generator engineering number, 2 letter code on the label and the parts catalog.

Latest posts

Members online