What my Ford Mechanic Said

Atsah

Reaction score
Honestly, who flushes their coolant every 50k let alone once every other year?

I bring it up to customers all the time and they think its like brake fluid or power steering fluid and just ignore it...

I dont like the gold. thats why I put the ELC in their trucks, cause I now their not going flush it... and I have seen the ELC last a hell of alot longer than gold

That makes sense..

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
7.3 guy but I run CAT red ELC. Mainly cause its free LOL, but like stated it will last a heck of a lot longer than any factory coolant.

I would second thew FICM to Swamps, those guys know there sh!t.

Zmann

Reaction score
16 is where the cap pukes

venting_coolant.jpg

Last edited:

FirstSixOh

Reaction score
All replies are very interesting to me. Now, if my coolant flush using 33 gallons of distilled water, and 10 fill, run engine, drain cycles still left some Restore Plus residue which is causing the foaming, will the coolant filter eventually capture the contamination? The inorganic chemistry I took in college leads me to believe that to make bubbles, molecules have to be pretty big, and thus filtered out. Two 10-minute trips late yesterday produced no foaming in the bottle. I strongly favor Delo ELC. I have read it is a million km (600,000 mile) coolant. Do hoses last that long? At $20 a gallon, I would drain it to a clean bucket and return it to the engine.

Worstenemy453

Reaction score
We use FleetRite or Cat ELC in all the trucks we do here at our shop. Never had any foaming. grab an oil cooler from a truck without a coolant filter and scoop out some of the silica and show it to him. Coolant filters help a lot.

6.4psd916

Reaction score
My ficm had 210,000 in my old truck, paid 700 for a dealer install, new ficm, and reflash. Now that little blue hose is no fun to replace. Also ran a cat ec1 rated coolant and my truck ran much cooler with that

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
16 psi is the magic number if you have blown head gaskets or EGR cooler.
16 is not the normal operating pressure.

ok. answer this then. the cooling system(any cooling system) when it heats up. expansion takes place,and so does pressure? does it not? ok that same system will keep building pressure,unless its regulated. if the cap pressure regulator is set for 16 psi. then tell me how the system is only going to operate at 5-7? if the cap didnt have a regulator relief,the system would build pressure until it pushed coolant past seals and hoses. thermal expansion,heat,and pressure. when head gaskets leak,combustion gases enter the cooling system,raisng the pressure rapidly beyond what the cap regulator can handle,thus throwing the system severly over the 16 psi normal operating range. as the gases make there way to the bottle,the boiling/over pressure has no where to go but take the path of least resistance. the cap. puke!!!!

Last edited:

Worstenemy453

Reaction score
ok. answer this then. the cooling system(any cooling system) when it heats up. expansion takes place,and so does pressure? does it not? ok that same system will keep building pressure,unless its regulated. if the cap pressure regulator is set for 16 psi. then tell me how the system is only going to operate at 5-7? if the cap didnt have a regulator relief,the system would build pressure until it pushed coolant past seals and hoses. thermal expansion,heat,and pressure. when head gaskets leak,combustion gases enter the cooling system,raisng the pressure rapidly beyond what the cap regulator can handle,thus throwing the system severly over the 16 psi normal operating range. as the gases make there way to the bottle,the boiling/over pressure has no where to go but take the path of least resistance. the cap. puke!!!!

If the cap pukes at 16, the normal opertaing can not be 16. If the was the case the cap would be puking the whole time the truck is running. If that cap pukes at 16, then the normal opertating pressure needs to be less that.

chappy

Reaction score
I don't see a problem with running the ford gold as long as its changed and a filter ran. I believe the milage AND the age should play a role for when to change the coolant. I can tell you that my truck with 80k on it was completely plugged up with sand when I changed my oil cooler and flushed the system. I could have built a sand castle if I wanted to. Thats why I feel age plays a role as well with the coolant.

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
If the cap pukes at 16, the normal opertaing can not be 16. If the was the case the cap would be puking the whole time the truck is running. If that cap pukes at 16, then the normal opertating pressure needs to be less that.

This cant be correct. I know you. You know what your talking about. But i must call this into question

ok 16 psi isnt a puke point. headgasket or other typical failure is puke point.

the system is going to run within 1-2 psi under 16psi. that is where the cap will begin to bleed pressure to maintain a cooling system pressure of 16 psi max. if the cap started bleeding pressure at 16psi,obviously the system would go over 16. anyone that has a cooling system pressure tester,do this. take the cap off your bottle on any vehicle of your choice,put the pressure tester equipped with a gauge on. take the vehcile for a ride. you will see the cooling system pressure rize up beyond what the cap psi is. this is because you removed the regulating cap from the system,the pressure tester cap now has the cooling system capped. no regulator. if artic or anyone that disagrees with me thinks that the system is just going to run at 5-7 psi by itself,with no regulator will see for themselves that the needle on the gauge will rize,and the system will build pressure til a hose or seal lets loose.

heat,and coolant circulation makes pressure!!!!

Zmann

Reaction score
Not many people observe the actual operating psi but this is one way to do it

not His kit ,,make your own but 3 min in you can see the average around town psi
http://youtu.be/wis6BFvI7zY
love him or hate him he is smart just some of his procedures are goofy

TxFireman1972

Reaction score
Not many people observe the actual operating psi but this is one way to do it

not His kit ,,make your own but 3 min in you can see the average around town psi
http://youtu.be/wis6BFvI7zY
love him or hate him he is smart just some of his procedures are goofy

Just curious, what kind of gauge do you use? Just a 15psi universal pressure gauge? Or is there a "coolant pressure" gauge?

uga33

Reaction score
Before I did studs on my truck, I had been playing around with a pressure guage. Truck had no cooling system problems and the highest pressure I could get the system up to pulling at max weight was 12 psi.

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Before I did studs on my truck, I had been playing around with a pressure guage. Truck had no cooling system problems and the highest pressure I could get the system up to pulling at max weight was 12 psi.

Coolant consentration also plays a factor in what the system pressure will be as well.

Latest posts

Members online