What oil do you run?

79jasper

Reaction score
Would I be wrong if I said "if you have to run a oil additive every oil change, you need to run a better oil?"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Towerguy

Reaction score
120,000 miles ago my truck ran better with straight oil than it does now with an additive. I'm at almost 240,000 on it and injector stiction is taking it's toll. I don't believe I need to change oil, I really need to start planning for fresh injectors. Early 2011 I was working in southwest Minnesota and North Dakota. It would be several weeks at a time hovering around 0 degrees and my truck doesn't have a chord for the block heater. I was running Valvoline 5w-40 for the first time and the starts really sold me on it. It would fire right up and settle into a smooth idle almost instantly even at 15 below and an all night cold soak with no block heater. Now is a different story, startups and idling are noticeably lacking in smoothness compared to the way it used to run. Archoil or Rev-X helps but I'm not telling myself they are a fix. But it does run better until I can fix the issue.

Atsah

Reaction score
Would I be wrong if I said "if you have to run a oil additive every oil change, you need to run a better oil?"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

For some ya, you would be.. The additives buy time for people that can't afford to replace injectors or update there FICM's.

High mileage 6.0's are everywhere and they will all need additives and or expensive parts at some point.. Buying time is the name of the game for a lot of people that own 6.0's..

swinky

Reaction score
Not me. I deal with stiction. They need to warm up anyway. That being said ill be switching to LE.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

florida 6.0

Reaction score
When I can plop down the cash for new injectors I wont need to run an additive anymore . For now it's Archoil in every oil change .

crash86

Reaction score
I run Mystik 5w-40 Full Synthetic in mine with archoil at every change. Not because my injectors are bad.. but because it's Preventative Maintenance. I tend to take any and all precautions with my truck.

limo054

Reaction score
I've been using Amsoil in all my vehicles including my truck 2008 F-250 6.4 with 70k. Amsoil 5-40 with two quarts of Lucas Oil Additive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Delo 5w40 and archoil in mine every oil change even used the same in my 6.4L. Been thinking about trying the CO-OP oil sometime.

Sent from my SM-N915W8 using Tapatalk

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Something that concerns me about oil additives lately is that once consistent thing I see with oils that have these things added to them is that viscosity drops. I've seen it with every type of oil. And it answers the question why you need to add it to nearly every oil change to combat stiction. It's not fixing anything but your perception of how your truck runs. It's lowering your viscosity and inadvertently helping flow at low temps. This is not really helpful in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Here is what I am talking about.
The first and last samples are Mobil Delvac. ( the middle samples are our 8854 but with the fuel dilution we switched back to Delvac until we figured out the fuel issue as to not waste the high dollar oil on fuel). The first sample has 6200 miles on it with 4.6% fuel and holding 12.1 cSt vis with no archoil. The last sample is the Delvac with archoil. 2800 miles, 3.1% fuel and 11.6 cSt.
Less miles, less fuel, lower viscosity. Only difference is Archiol. This is one of many that I've seen this with. And it's not just archoil.

a6f68be0020cc9411d2661a743e24327.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online