What simple mods can I do for my 99 7.3?

2006nytro

Reaction score
most people will tell you valvoline premium blue. I've never ran it can't tell ya much about it. I've always ran rotella 15/40. never had a problem with it i have trucks that have ben running it for 400K+ miles and never had a problem

TARM

Reaction score
You can make a lockup switch for the converter.

Why would you want a flash tuner in a 7.3 vs a chip?

TyCorr

Reaction score
You can get the tuner you choose to lock the convertor whenever you want. Change the.trans fluid. That will tell you a lot about the condition of.the trans. Id.rather.do that and know if.its.about to shti the bed. If you are going to need to upgrade to a new trans Id save the 6.0 cooler for.that. My buddy has a e99 eclb 7.3 and he's got all this frikkin shti to make his truck.last and he used to.call me and.say the.dumbest shti. "95° today, ridin around with the ac on, and trans never got above 170." Id be pulling.a.10k lb trailer with a lowly trucool on my frontend and my transtemp would be.180. He badgered me to let him pull my trailer so he could "show me that his.runs cooler". His truck with less power and two frikkin coolers and.only 80k miles was 200° pulling.the same load in a lighter truck. We even had to pull over "to let it cool a bit". My point? See if you need a bunch of extra.shti before you think you do. Make sure your cooler is.clean and see how hot the fluid gets towing before.you.spend a.shtiload of.money on parts for a stock trans. It'd be easy to.get a grand wrapped up in the stocker that is gonna puke when its gonna puke anyway.

My stocker lasted 250k miles with lift, 37" tires, and a 100hp tune on it the whole time...it.crapped.out.because.all the.rubber was.toast.from 250k miles.worth of heat.cycling. I changed.my fluid if it.got.hot and if.not.once a.year and mine lasted. It had 10-24k lbs worth of.shti behind it everyday too. Ive never used Mobil 1 trans fluid but the ford.tranny engineer says.its.good.at doing its job even at 300°.

Denver

Reaction score
Search for a write up here or on PSN. For the trans I would drive it till it goes but I do suggest adding a larger cooler. When it does go have John build it. I've put 6K miles on my JW trans and I'm still smiling when I drive it and it tows better than my friends torqshift. I have and SCT already so I'm going to try the flash route with DP tunes hopefully by next week.

dietoremain

Reaction score
How do I install a lock up switch?

Theres a wire under the hood on one of the harnesses that you splice into and wire to a switch with one side as a ground, flip it on and ground it out and voila tc locked.. anyway i'll go look at mine later and see what color wire it is.. i wanna say purple n yellow or somethin..

Desertdweller

Reaction score
Search for a write up here or on PSN. For the trans I would drive it till it goes but I do suggest adding a larger cooler. When it does go have John build it. I've put 6K miles on my JW trans and I'm still smiling when I drive it and it tows better than my friends torqshift. I have and SCT already so I'm going to try the flash route with DP tunes hopefully by next week.

Cool thanks.

Desertdweller

Reaction score
Theres a wire under the hood on one of the harnesses that you splice into and wire to a switch with one side as a ground, flip it on and ground it out and voila tc locked.. anyway i'll go look at mine later and see what color wire it is.. i wanna say purple n yellow or somethin..

That would be great thank you

Latest posts

Members online