What to do with DEF

buckethead27

Reaction score
After the truck is ******d have any of you just stuck a hose down in the tank and sucked the remaining fluid out?? Just trying to figure out the best way to deal with the unused DEF. Thanks

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
I tired to get a hose in there...its impossible. Something blocks it about 1/2 way down.

pdumont01

Reaction score
There is another thread about it, best way is to remove the tank unscrew the pump ring pull it out then dump it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
I topped mine off with water...hopefully that'll buy me some time before I drain it.

FlatbedCowboy

Reaction score
DEF actually will "turn into water" eventually. The urea actually will stay suspended in water better when its cold out or frozen. When it gets above 80 degrees it will start to Atomize. If you d e l e t e d yours say two months ago it is most likely water by now already.

I have read on many websites that say at a constant 120* it would take 2 years for it to evaporate. A lot of them say its highly toxic as well. I don't believe that since you can rinse it with water and we don't have to have recovery tanks. But (I work for John Deere) they say that at over 100* it will only last a few weeks. But at 0* it will last for months. Thunder Creek trailers gave us this spec sheet on their take on DEF:

http://farmindustrynews.com/site-fi...uploads/2014/05/DEF Infosheet_Ag_Final[1].pdf

kwelch08

Reaction score
A lot of them say its highly toxic as well.

Where I work we have to have a MSDS on everything and I mean everything. That includes DEF and the MSDS for it says it is not toxic at all. It's a non-toxic solution of 67.5% water and 32.5% automotive grade urea

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

buckethead27

Reaction score
One more question to keep this going here, I just ******d the truck and im loving it! 2 questions though:

Is it ok to leave the block off plates off for a day or so until daylight again for the E G R

and at idle it sounds like there are small surges in the turbo or something, almost like it cant make up its mind what it wants to do.

Thanks for yall's help!!!

Reaction score
I guess I will go ahead and put a little fact in to the conversation. My truck had about 1 gallon of def left in the tank and was ******d for about 2.5-3 years. I put it back to stock and cleaned the tank 2 weeks ago.

The ONLY crystallization was at the top of the fill neck where the cap seals. There was none at any of the fittings, none down in the tank when I opened the top, none at the ports of the pump, nothing anywhere.

Poured it out, put about a gallon of new in and sloshed it around then dumped. Filled with new def and all worked fine.

WatchTryst

Reaction score
Where I work we have to have a MSDS on everything and I mean everything. That includes DEF and the MSDS for it says it is not toxic at all. It's a non-toxic solution of 67.5% water and 32.5% automotive grade urea

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

MSDS as in "material safety data sheet"?

oscard0215

Reaction score
I guess I will go ahead and put a little fact in to the conversation. My truck had about 1 gallon of def left in the tank and was ******d for about 2.5-3 years. I put it back to stock and cleaned the tank 2 weeks ago.

The ONLY crystallization was at the top of the fill neck where the cap seals. There was none at any of the fittings, none down in the tank when I opened the top, none at the ports of the pump, nothing anywhere.

Poured it out, put about a gallon of new in and sloshed it around then dumped. Filled with new def and all worked fine.

so is the removal of the tank itself pretty easy??

Reaction score
Yes, 4 bolts and drop it down a little bit. Then you can disconnect everything from the top. It is a big help if you remove the spare tire so you can sit up under the truck.

oscard0215

Reaction score
any more info on this subject?? just ordered my stuff from MIke @nolimit a few hours ago and just wondering what other members on here are doing with the left over def in tank. more thank likely I will be trading up for a 2017 about 8-10months after they roll onto the showroom floors.

pdumont01

Reaction score
I would just leave the tank and everything right up there it won't hurt, that what I did. But its easy enough to remove if you choose.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

BR459

Reaction score
I just left mine with the DEF in it to satisfy the level sensors. I don't have any plans to remove any of it.

oscard0215

Reaction score
Thanks guys!!! Anyone here have to return to stock setup and have any issues with def?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online