What to expect?

willholl79

Reaction score
I am buying a fairly clean 1996 F-250 with aftermarket goodies and lots of new parts, tires, etc. 266k miles.

The only issue is a small pin hole in the block near the motor mount. I assume it is from cavitation. The PO says it started leaking after a coolant flush. He JB welded the hole and has been daily driving it ever since. I understand that it's probably the beginning of the end for that motor, just wondering how long she'll last.

I got the truck cheap.....

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
If its by the motor mount I wouldnt expect it to last much longer at all. Time to look for a wrecked truck motor.

willholl79

Reaction score
Here's the truck:

3La3F83sb5Ne5r95F7d6r89484ec109f01a85_zps4ab86ae7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

3E23rd3Ga5Ne5qe5t5d6me7a0198041b8180e_zps57c5737f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

willholl79

Reaction score
^Pretty nice truck. Thats an odd place to cavitate though....

School me.........It has a small pin-hole near the pass. side motor mount that started leaking coolant after the PO did a coolant flush. It does not appear to be a crack, but maybe it is.....? The truck runs great. No smoke, normal temps. Maybe it'll self destruct tomorrow, maybe it'll run another 10k. Either way, super clean truck, cheap, and I like turning wrenches.

SPless

Reaction score
I can vouch for how clean the truck is, the pics don't do it justice. And from the pic I've seen of the hole, it definitely doesn't look like a crack.

always-strokin

Reaction score
School me.........It has a small pin-hole near the pass. side motor mount that started leaking coolant after the PO did a coolant flush. It does not appear to be a crack, but maybe it is.....? The truck runs great. No smoke, normal temps. Maybe it'll self destruct tomorrow, maybe it'll run another 10k. Either way, super clean truck, cheap, and I like turning wrenches.

Have you seen it yourself? You sure its not the oil cooler?

Binder man

Reaction score
Oil cooler is on the driver side. I think cavitation would have went for the cylinders first, not the outside of the block. Honestly keep an eye on the coolant PH and as long as it doesn't/hasn't cavitated the cylinder walls I bet it lives a fairly solid life.

always-strokin

Reaction score
Oil cooler is on the driver side. I think cavitation would have went for the cylinders first, not the outside of the block. Honestly keep an eye on the coolant PH and as long as it doesn't/hasn't cavitated the cylinder walls I bet it lives a fairly solid life.

:doh: totally overlooked that part.

willholl79

Reaction score

I'm gonna keep my eye out for a good used motor, and keep driving the truck like it is and see what happens.

always-strokin

Reaction score
What is the cause of said hole? I assume coolant neglect?

Using the wrong coolant that doesn't have the special additive. Starts eating the block up. Original owner probably cheaped out and didn't want the Caterpillar fluids and bought the cheapest crap he could find.

willholl79

Reaction score
I drove the truck for the first time today, it's my wife's play truck, and wow I miss the OBS trucks. The way they ride, handle, feel brings back a lot of memories. The truck runs and drives awesome.

Latest posts

Members online