What Vacuum pump to buy?

Reaction score
Going to replace before it fails and make it a spare have 100k known miles on it now. Only thing in the belt system not yet replaced. My thought is quality over price, so the only choices I see are Motorcraft BPRV6 @ $171 and Delphi NLVP5041 @$129. The Motorcraft has a 24 mo warranty. Both are new. Any thoughts?

ghohouston

Reaction score
Going to replace before it fails and make it a spare have 100k known miles on it now. Only thing in the belt system not yet replaced. My thought is quality over price, so the only choices I see are Motorcraft BPRV6 @ $171 and Delphi NLVP5041 @$129. The Motorcraft has a 24 mo warranty. Both are new. Any thoughts?

Get rid of the belt driven pump, and go to a super duty electric pump.

kramarj

Reaction score
Motorcraft all the way. It is more expensive, but they last. We had one replaced with a Napa(I think) and it didn't last long at all, like months. The Motorcraft lasted a few years before I had to replace it again. I don't know how many miles were on them, but I will only run the Motorcraft vacuum pump from now on.

7.3obs

Reaction score
Motorcraft. I've gone through two of them in one year that I got from autozone. Last one went was when I was just about to hook up to the boat at the truck pull. It didn't stop working it just blew up, bye bye belt. Autozone didn't have one in stock so off to the junkyard. I'm still running the one I got from the junkyard. I did get a new one for a back up if this one ever goes but I regret going with autozone.

ghohouston

Reaction score
What do you put in its place on the engine?

Let me state, that I haven't personally done this, BUT, a member ID be inclined to believe, don't remember who, stated with the original obs belt, IF you delete the vacuum pump off the belt drive, and have the SD dual tensioner upgrade, the belt fits. I can count on one hand the number of sd electric vacuum pumps I've replaced in 5 years of working on a fleet of over 400 super duties. They are pretty damn reliable imo.

jngreen

Reaction score
Let me state, that I haven't personally done this, BUT, a member ID be inclined to believe, don't remember who, stated with the original obs belt, IF you delete the vacuum pump off the belt drive, and have the SD dual tensioner upgrade, the belt fits. I can count on one hand the number of sd electric vacuum pumps I've replaced in 5 years of working on a fleet of over 400 super duties. They are pretty damn reliable imo.

I'm not sure that I would want an electric pump for my vacuum assisted brakes. That electric pump was designed to run a super duty's hvac system and auto lockouts. Remember that a superduty has brakes assisted by the power steering pump.

ghohouston

Reaction score
I'm not sure that I would want an electric pump for my vacuum assisted brakes. That electric pump was designed to run a super duty's hvac system and auto lockouts. Remember that a superduty has brakes assisted by the power steering pump.

True. I have switched my truck over to hydroboost. I got REAL tired of that awful vacuum booster. Braking feels 75 percent better. But the same can be said about a belt driven pump. The truck won't immediately die if the belt breaks, or the pump seizes, then you're DEFINITELY left with no brakes.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Have you done away with the belt driven pump alltogether? If so how did you handle the belt routing?

No I personally havent. Id imagine you route the belt the same way. Like I said, you have to delete the belt driven vac pump, and switch to the SD dual belt tensioner, with a stock obs belt.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
IMHO - if you eliminate the vacuum pump altogether, there is a chance that the belt might slip on the AC Compressor and P/S pump. There will only be about a 90* contact on the pulleys vs the 180* contact with the vacuum pump in place. Now if there is a way to make an idler pulley, then it's a different story.

Here is a routing of the dual idler pulley conversion (TSB).

user14114_pic26866_1426473491_zpsbeuwhsdb.png

Billy T.
[email protected]

ghohouston

Reaction score
I'm sure some sort of idler pulley could be put in place, kind of like an a/c delete pulley, but that's still one more bearing to seize up on the belt drive. The whole concept is to have one less thing to potentially leave you stranded.

I totally see your point on the belts contact points though. Someone should try it, or post up if they've done it. I KNOW some have done it, just don't remember who.

ghohouston

Reaction score
I had been planning on trying it out for myself, my old vacuum pump sounded awful, but didn't have the time to jack with it, so bought a ford replacement. I do still want to eventually do away with the belt drive, since I swapped to the f super duty booster. I don't plan to put anything where the vac pump was. It's worth a try.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.