Wheel Size Dilemma

03cody

Reaction score
They rubbed the leaf springs. I had pictures of them rubbing the rust off over time where the tire made contact. I didn't buy the wrong wheels, but thanks for telling me how my own truck drove.

I just don't understand how they rubbed the leafs? I mean I am not saying you are wrong but logically isn't the point of a negative offset to move the tires away from the leafs and other suspension parts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swinky

Reaction score
I just don't understand how they rubbed the leafs? I mean I am not saying you are wrong but logically isn't the point of a negative offset to move the tires away from the leafs and other suspension parts?

A taller tire will be closer to the leafs at full lock.

Jomax

Reaction score

Well, a 12.5 35 and a 12.5 37. Should be the same. Right? Now going with a wider tire, would defiantly run more.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Spoolin'

Reaction score

The majority of the rubbing was on the bumper and fender liner. At full lock the tire would barely make contact with the spring. They were toyo M/Ts. Regardless unless you trim with 4 inches or lift it to 5-6 inches it's going to rub like hell.

03cody

Reaction score
The majority of the rubbing was on the bumper and fender liner. At full lock the tire would barely make contact with the spring. They were toyo M/Ts. Regardless unless you trim with 4 inches or lift it to 5-6 inches it's going to rub like hell.

Ugh. So disappointing lol. 12 wides look so awesome. I don't want to do a bunch of trimming though.

jngreen

Reaction score
I'm not telling anyone how their truck should or did drive. I'm just saying with the right wheels, a 12.5" wide tire should not rub the springs. My 39.5" tires did rub the leaf springs with the same 12" wide wheels, but the tires were 18" wide, IIRC.

My 35" by 12.5" Super Swamper SSR's did not rub the leaf springs anywhere, and they were pretty aggressive tires.

DSCF1069.jpg

DSCF1068.jpg

DSCF1076.jpg

DSCF1075.jpg

DSCF1074.jpg

DSCF1073.jpg

DSCF1072.jpg

DSCF1071.jpg

DSCF1070.jpg

DSCF1077.jpg

DSCF1078.jpg

DSCF1084.jpg

DSCF1085.jpg

DSCF1101.jpg

DSCF1102.jpg

DSCF1105.jpg

DSCF1106.jpg

That is a 3.5 inch hanger lift on stock V-code springs, BTW. 5" rear block. Had to trim the front bumper, and pull back the liners, but did not rub the springs at full lock.

jngreen

Reaction score

I don't necessarily agree with this. I see what you are saying, but don't believe that a taller tire is more likely to rub the leaves, unless your front end is all wore out and sloppy.

03cody

Reaction score
I'm not telling anyone how their truck should or did drive. I'm just saying with the right wheels, a 12.5" wide tire should not rub the springs. My 39.5" tires did rub the leaf springs with the same 12" wide wheels, but the tires were 18" wide, IIRC.

My 35" by 12.5" Super Swamper SSR's did not rub the leaf springs anywhere, and they were pretty aggressive tires.

That is a 3.5 inch hanger lift on stock V-code springs, BTW. 5" rear block. Had to trim the front bumper, and pull back the liners, but did not rub the springs at full lock.

That thing looks good man! The tires stick out perfectly. I'm also a sucker for black haha.

jngreen

Reaction score
That thing looks good man! The tires stick out perfectly. I'm also a sucker for black haha.

Get some wheels then. I wouldn't be afraid of 12" wide wheels. If for some reason they rub the leaf springs, then you could always run spacers. You could always adjust your suspension some to get a little extra height if needed. You could run your 4" lift, then add a mini spring pack to get an extra inch or more if you needed it. I think a true 4.5 to 5" of lift would be perfect for 35" tires on 12" wide wheels.

03cody

Reaction score
You sir, are correct. I'm gonna get 12s. If a problem does arise. I will fix it when it comes.

jngreen

Reaction score
I'm sure he already has a drop bracket, or an adjustable track bar with his 4"lift.

jngreen

Reaction score
What are you talking about with spacers? It's a leaf spring truck.

Why so mad bro? Lol

Yeah, I should have clarified what type of spacers. I guess I assumed everyone in here has leaf springs.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online