where can i buy a billet wheel?

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
hey guys, last summer i dropped in my s471 turbo from Irate. its time to do a little more upgrading, id like to get my hands on a 72mm billet. any one have an idea where to look?

Im also starting to think on twins for the ol girl once i start getting all the goods to keep the lower end together. Is it possible to have a DD friendly twin truck? i finally made 500hp and i have a goal of 600hp on fuel only for next years dyno event. i dont want huge twins. would another s400 chassis with say... a 90 something mm wheel do ok?

Basically i want a billet 72mm but i dont want that to be too big for a small twins set up, dont want to have to buy another wheel when its time to do twins. let me know on your guys input! thanks

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
hey guys, last summer i dropped in my s471 turbo from Irate. its time to do a little more upgrading, id like to get my hands on a 72mm billet. any one have an idea where to look?

Im also starting to think on twins for the ol girl once i start getting all the goods to keep the lower end together. Is it possible to have a DD friendly twin truck? i finally made 500hp and i have a goal of 600hp on fuel only for next years dyno event. i dont want huge twins. would another s400 chassis with say... a 90 something mm wheel do ok?

Basically i want a billet 72mm but i dont want that to be too big for a small twins set up, dont want to have to buy another wheel when its time to do twins. let me know on your guys input! thanks

there more to it than just swapping wheels. machine work,and or housing swaps,with the end result needing to be rebalanced.

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
well when i talked to bullseye a while back, one of the guys said you just drop in the wheel and there cover. you dont need to balance anything. i am seeing some sites that say they are drop in wheels. but nothing about a cover, only for the 83 and up wheels that need a race cover. but bullseye was a little pricey, just shopping around and looking for opinions.

Last edited:

pontiacross

Reaction score
I didn't get much of a gain with a billit wheel in my pulling truck. a couple extra horse on top but it fell off quick so the cast wheel made a lot more average power, and I had less drive pressure for the same boost on the cast wheel. the wheel was the only thing we changed.

I'm sure not all billit wheels are created equal, but I went back to a cast.

the billit wheel did sound awesome though.......

jkidd_39

Reaction score
The billet is only there bc it's much more durable.

What's important is design of the wheel and cover.

How many blades?
Their pitch?
How the scroll of the cover is designed to take advantage of these?

I'd get with Jose @ forced inductions or Chris @ ED

They can better suite your needs.

How many miles are on the charger?? Use?? Boost/Bp ratio??

If you treat it nice you might be able to change the cover and wheel and be fine. Personally I would send it in and have it looked thru just in case. Then the shop will spec it out and swap the wheel and cover a d send it back.

jkidd_39

Reaction score
Also. In regards to compounds. What Is the size of the exhaust wheel and exhaust housing?

This will further help us figure out where to go.

I'm doing a 66/74 over a 488/96/1.32 on my cr cummins. But you have a displacement advantage over my build.

Someone will come help you tho.

Good luck

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
ey guys i havnt been around to see these. thanks for the feed back, pontiacross I was hoping to hear a little bit better results! but someone like you is what im looking to hear back from. would a billet being in a DD have suited your needs any better?

its a newer turbo, probably has about 6k on it now. i didnt mess with the housing on it yet. its the stock 1.10 exhaust. i BELIEVE it has an 88 exhaust....i really dont know, didnt get crap for specs on it. its the turbo on jakes site, the s471 or same body and wheel as gt4202 base model really. it lights pretty hard around 2200-2300 and as hard as it pulls there isnt much room left in the power band. ill be going to a 1.0 to help spool soon as i figure out what messing with a compressor wheel will yield. hopfully this video works but this is a run of my dyno the other week. verrrryy smokey.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=192598977529445

with the filter off it did 318/563 in stock tune. and 478/803 on the high tune with wiper fluid set to come on at 15psi...needless to say the dyno was off on many guys trucks. so i honestly dont know what the truck has. the year before i did 349/730 on 160/100s and a stock pump. this run is with my 250/100s and t500

Last edited:

pontiacross

Reaction score
ey guys i havnt been around to see these. thanks for the feed back, pontiacross I was hoping to hear a little bit better results! but someone like you is what im looking to hear back from. would a billet being in a DD have suited your needs any better?

its a newer turbo, probably has about 6k on it now. i didnt mess with the housing on it yet. its the stock 1.10 exhaust. i BELIEVE it has an 88 exhaust....i really dont know, didnt get crap for specs on it. its the turbo on jakes site, the s471 or same body and wheel as gt4202 base model really. it lights pretty hard around 2200-2300 and as hard as it pulls there isnt much room left in the power band. ill be going to a 1.0 to help spool soon as i figure out what messing with a compressor wheel will yield. hopfully this video works but this is a run of my dyno the other week. verrrryy smokey.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=192598977529445

with the filter off it did 318/563 in stock tune. and 478/803 on the high tune with wiper fluid set to come on at 15psi...needless to say the dyno was off on many guys trucks. so i honestly dont know what the truck has. the year before i did 349/730 on 160/100s and a stock pump. this run is with my 250/100s and t500

the billit wheel I was running would suck on a daily driver. it took a lot more to spool and had a narrow powerband. however it is a 80mm wheel, with a smaller wheel maybe a harder spool up wouldn't be a big deal because a 71 or 74 mm wheel is going to spool a lot faster than a 80 anyway.

I would really like to see some back to back compairisons like we did with mine on some other wheels or just other turbo combinations with the same wheel, before i gave up on all of the billit wheels. the one I was running just didn't work for me.

jkidd_39

Reaction score
Call Jose @ forced inductions and talk to him.

A billet 7 blade vs a cast 7 blade wheel doesn't offer any advantage other than your wallet is lighter. If someone is custom building a wheel and modifying the pitch, amount of blades, ect you will see an advantage.

I was considering a billet wheel but the cost doesnt justify the use. If you were looking at a wheel for your charger you would be better off selling off your bw unit and getting a similarly sized Garrett charger. Same price as upgrading to a billet wheel. Get better spool and about 30hp

TARM

Reaction score
I can tell you the billet wheel on my GTX is likley one if not the best wheel for a all around street combo looking for max power without any real down side for general use. It lites and spools very close to a stock 38R on the bottom and have a very broad top end as well.

Honestly those billet vs cast is only a manf difference. It has many times nothing to do with pref as far as how it works. Strength yes maybe depending but given same specs with a better alloy yes. Now if there was a forging then not some much. The real benefit of CNC (billet) is overhead cost on small runs and gives more flexibility in wheel design as you can have angles that can not work with casting.

Last edited:

Rideracelivemx7

Reaction score
i appreciate the input, if you dont mind me asking, whats the specs on your gtx? did you do a drop in post install or buy it with a billet? hows the smoke? your pushing alot of fuel

TARM

Reaction score
In theory if you knew someone at Garrett you can do a drop in. It would be the comp cover and wheel combo. Its been done ;) But I did a complete GTX that I bought thru Matt@ Gearhead. He has been able to get some very good pricing deals when he buys a number of them at a time. IMO as a single turbo for use all around IMO its one of if not the best turbo but it does cost a premium but not out of line if you look at other BB CHRA turbos with custom billet wheels and covers.

I will just say I can not see myself wanting a different turbo for a single turbo setup on the street. If I wanted something more I would go straight to compounds as anything larger to get more power in a single config IMO is going to have comprises to get that extra peak power.

300/200 hybrids, any HPOP SPR1 up, 910s or better, ARP/H11, Walbro/dual stocks or better RR, Built trans/converter, good tuning should get you there if everything is working as it should its a 600HP+ combo IMO.

Latest posts

Members online