Which FICM

MDpsd06

Reaction score
recently started to experience what I believe is a FICM issue. Delayed starts, rough idle. Im going to test the voltage this weekend. If it is the FICM though what would you guys go with: Swamps, BPD power supply, or FICMrepair.com? I am leaning towards Ficmrepair.com as of right now with the atlas 80 tune. What is the difference with what they call Hercules tune? I am Studed, ******d, tunes by eric, 175/75 injectors, airdog, intake, 4inch straight pipe, and a mild trans build. Let me know what yall think. Thanks.

colo_dually

Reaction score
I'm running the powersupply from BPD, and tuning from ********** and I'm happy with the results.

I run a lower end file (about 25HP) and it runs smoother with my SCT files than what I've seen out of higher hp FICM tunes on similar trucks.

Merc82

Reaction score
I run he BPD 58V. Hardcore piece of hardware, if it fails the redundant circuits kick in. I run the PHP Atlas 80 as well as a DD along with my tuning. Out of all the PHP FICM tunes, it seems to work the best on my setup.

Mdub707

Reaction score
I'd either do a repair or a BPD unit. I prefer tuning over the higher voltage units too. I run PHP Gryphon for FICM tuning, usually on Atlas 40. It helps throttle response a ton, and I notice it even more with my non VGT setup.

MDpsd06

Reaction score
I'd either do a repair or a BPD unit. I prefer tuning over the higher voltage units too. I run PHP Gryphon for FICM tuning, usually on Atlas 40. It helps throttle response a ton, and I notice it even more with my non VGT setup.

On the atlas 40 tune did you see more smoke in places you use to not? Or much higher egt? How about if you ran the 80?

MDpsd06

Reaction score
Tested the FICM tonight 48.4 volts with the key on, 48.5 volts through the crank and at idle. Very confused why the truck does not like starting... any ideas?

strokin6L

Reaction score
Maybe glow plugs or glow plug module are weak. I have the BPD 6 phase FICM. I tried it at 58v...the higher voltage did absolutely nothing...no difference what so ever with starting, idling or running with the higher voltage. So I switched it back to 48v.

MDpsd06

Reaction score
Maybe glow plugs or glow plug module are weak. I have the BPD 6 phase FICM. I tried it at 58v...the higher voltage did absolutely nothing...no difference what so ever with starting, idling or running with the higher voltage. So I switched it back to 48v.

wouldn't glow plugs or glow plug module throw a code?

Mdub707

Reaction score
Depending on his location... I can't imagine glow plugs having an effect this time of year.

I didn't really notice a difference between Atlas 40 and Atlas 80 honestly. My truck basically runs smoke free regardless. I have way more air than I do fuel.

Merc82

Reaction score
I would buy the PHP tuner if you want an FICM tune. Heard of a few people without tuners getting a tune on their FICM and then wanting to change it as of late. You get the tuner, you can take it off, change it, etc... As a DD, the 80 seems to run better,cleaner and cooler on my truck for some reason over the 40.

MDpsd06

Reaction score
Awesome guys thanks for the help. I think since the FICM is good then a tuner is next up. Just need to figure out what this starting issue could be. Glow plugs sound like it may be it, also someone solaid dummy plug said gotta figure to out.

highestpoint

Reaction score
Anybody think it could be a fuel problem? How does it run after it's started and warmed up a little?

My truck if below a quarter tank (but the fuel light still not on) would have a rough start and idle.

MDpsd06

Reaction score
Anybody think it could be a fuel problem? How does it run after it's started and warmed up a little?

My truck if below a quarter tank (but the fuel light still not on) would have a rough start and idle.

I defiantly am thinking it could be a fuel problem. The first start of the day it takes awhile to start even after running the plugs a few times. Every start after that, starts right up. In my XtremeX tune truck has a rough idle but doesnt seem to bad. In my street tune truck runs perfectly fine.

MDpsd06

Reaction score
Does anyone think it could be the fuel pressure regulator spring gone bad? Think installing the blue spring might help? with maybe the banjo bolts?

strokin6L

Reaction score
Not a fuel issue. If it was... Every start up would be similar regardless how warm it is. Sounds like normal cold start issues to me. And if you gotta cycle your glow plugs more than once.... Something is wrong. Cause they definitely aren't working right.

Last edited:

highestpoint

Reaction score
Not a fuel issue. If it was... Every start up would be similar regardless how warm it is. Sounds like normal cold start issues to me. And if you gotta cycle your glow plugs more than once.... Something is wrong. Cause they definitely aren't working right.
Not exactly. Striction can play a role and if the oil is cold then the injectors aren't moving freely. If it were the fuel pressure regulator then I can see where you're coming from and would agree that it's not fuel but considering there's noticeable differences on a tune that requires more fuel. I would think that would be the first think on my book to check. It wouldn't hurt to do the blue spring mod anyway.

Do you have a block heater? If so plug it in at least 4 hours before starting the truck and see if that helps.

Oh and what oil are you running and how many miles do you have on this cycle?

MDpsd06

Reaction score
Not exactly. Striction can play a role and if the oil is cold then the injectors aren't moving freely. If it were the fuel pressure regulator then I can see where you're coming from and would agree that it's not fuel but considering there's noticeable differences on a tune that requires more fuel. I would think that would be the first think on my book to check. It wouldn't hurt to do the blue spring mod anyway.

Do you have a block heater? If so plug it in at least 4 hours before starting the truck and see if that helps.

I do have a block Heater so I will see what that does. I switched to rotella t6 this oil change because I heard such good things about it. Still using motorcraft filters. I have 3500 on this oil change now. Just change fuel filters and my lift pumper filters also at the oil change time.

strokin6L

Reaction score

When I said fuel issue....I was referring to pump and regulator. If you wanna rule out tune related issues....you should always turn it back to stock to see if the issue still exists. If it does then its not tune related.....if it doesn't, then it is tune related.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.