which is easier to tune for?

strokedoutlaw

Reaction score
So looking at either going with a 64mm non vgt or possibly a 68mm rcd powermax with a set of 190s and just also had a ponderance on which is easier or better to tune for?

brentos

Reaction score
its more along the lines of what you want to do with the truck. non vgt if its just a play truck if you plan to tow a lot do the powermax
if it were my truck id do the non vgt because i cant stand the vgt whistle lol

strokedoutlaw

Reaction score
well im wondering cause i been hearing that the larger vgts are hard to dial in to not have a dead spot or perform worth a darn, I think running a non vgt with some water/meth would help with towing though

FaSSt9602

Reaction score
well im wondering cause i been hearing that the larger vgts are hard to dial in to not have a dead spot or perform worth a darn, I think running a non vgt with some water/meth would help with towing though

Every charger has the potential for the dead spot...VGT or not :thumbup:

windrunner408

Reaction score
So looking at either going with a 64mm non vgt or possibly a 68mm rcd powermax with a set of 190s and just also had a ponderance on which is easier or better to tune for?

I have to say that I think this a tough question to answer. I would think that a VGT turbo would have more options that could be utilized to optimize its performance but in the end I think it is going to come down to how much experience the given tuner has with tuning said turbo. I personally think that if you go with something bigger than a Pmax or non-VGT, you might as well just go get a live tune done and call it a day. It would be expensive but is really probably the only way to ensure every effort is exhausted in getting the turbo to perform. JMO.

PTSUPERD

Reaction score

Stay tuned. Matt @ Gearhead is live tuning my truck now for 190s and a RCD 68 powermax.....

strokedoutlaw

Reaction score
well after spending the change to get the turbo and injectors it may be awhile before i can get it tuned. Im not all on board with the whistle from the large vgts yet though. I think if i would trust anyone to live tune my pickup would be matt

TooMuch03

Reaction score
There must be something wrong with me, I love that whistle! I am possibly getting an RCD 68mm at the end of the month, or a 64 nonVGT, so I am interested to see what everyone comes up with for tuning.

windrunner408

Reaction score
This MTW Stage 3 whistles something fierce. I have to say that when I first stuck it on, I didn't like it but now it has really grown on me and I dont really want to get rid of it. Maybe it's because I know there is actually something there behind the whistle. :evil

strokedoutlaw

Reaction score
well i would imagine that the mtw 3 since its got the 13 blade i think or do you have a 10 blade, I know that I think its mike with ced that has the 68mm and the one video at idle I know would drive my neighbors nuts. Also im hearing its a little hit or miss still with the large vgts

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Most good tuners can nail tuning for a non vgt first or second try. Get the shifting right and you will have zero issues with smoke if the nozzle and injector size is reasonable. These vgts can take a while to tune, its a pain, and takes a lot of time and fine tuning.

Mwilbur516

Reaction score
Most good tuners can nail tuning for a non vgt first or second try. Get the shifting right and you will have zero issues with smoke if the nozzle and injector size is reasonable. These vgts can take a while to tune, its a pain, and takes a lot of time and fine tuning.

^^^This^^^ But I have to say that the VGT's, when tuned correctly, are extremely fun. The tuning is still an issue simply because up until recently there havn't been that many VGT choices. I will say that Chris at TSD has my truck running absolutely incredible right now. You know when the truck is running so nice, your just driving around waiting for something to break and ruin the fun, it's running that good.

windrunner408

Reaction score
well i would imagine that the mtw 3 since its got the 13 blade i think or do you have a 10 blade, I know that I think its mike with ced that has the 68mm and the one video at idle I know would drive my neighbors nuts. Also im hearing its a little hit or miss still with the large vgts

The MTW Stage 3 turbo has a 10 bladed turbine wheel. It does not whistle at idle and everything is nice, quiet, and deep while the truck just sits there. It takes about .5-1psi of boost to get the turbo to start whistling and even when it does, you can still hear a rumble which it makes it just sound mean.

I am sure that this is due to the fact that non-VGT turbos are inherently simpler than VGT turbos and have one less thing to look at and figure into the tuning process and therefore probably either work or not work with a given setup and most of the tweaking is for driveability rather than top performance right?? Just going with how I perceive it to be but am definitely not 100% that this is exactly how it all works.

strokedoutlaw

Reaction score
I think it would go hand in hand I think, keeping the rpms up to keep it spooled which i think would still make for a pretty decent track tune but im sure you could get an all out race tune that just jams fuel down its throat to get everything out of them

suprdzlduty

Reaction score
do the diverter valves on the non vgts help in the tuning process? i would assume since they are designed to help on the low end???

Latest posts

Members online