Whining/growling/humming....

blk99

Reaction score
So yesterday, i bought a 15 f350 fually with 13k miles and as i was driving home, when it would sit at idle, i could hear a loud growling/whining noise from under the truck.... well i took it to ford dealer this morning (warranty) and he just said, "i'll put you on the schedule for next week....no help.... so i researched and decided to change the fuel filters.... got motorcraft ones and followed everything i had read, including the purging cycle and BOOM noise was gone on start up....

Sooo as the day progresses and the fuel tank gets closer to empty (not sure if that matters) i noticed the noise was back faintly but nowhere near as loud....
ON EDIT: seems to still be there after fill up....

Any ideas?

I dont know these 6.7's but i does NOT sound right and my brothers 11 with 50k has never made the noise...

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Jomax

Reaction score
I have it come and go. It's the fuel filter on the motor. It's annoying lol.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

blk99

Reaction score
Soooo its ok??

Another weird thing, when i first fire it up with a trailer hooked up (only notice when loaded) and put foot on the brake to shift to R or D, it locks the trailer brakes up and then after a second it makes a funny noise and releases them, then all is well.... but its only intermittent.... Anybody experience that either??

sledhead_24_7

Reaction score
Soooo its ok??

Another weird thing, when i first fire it up with a trailer hooked up (only notice when loaded) and put foot on the brake to shift to R or D, it locks the trailer brakes up and then after a second it makes a funny noise and releases them, then all is well.... but its only intermittent.... Anybody experience that either??

Your brake controller may be a bad unit. Some earlier build 15's have been found to have bad trailer control units. Mine was bad, was locking up the trailer brakes at a stop with out the brakes being pushed. Dragged a few trailer tires across the intersection before I figured out what was up.

It should be a warrantied thing, however getting your dealer to get to that point it might just be faster to buy the thing for the $120 ish that it costs.

Here is a bit of info regarding the controller.
OASIS MESSAGE:
2015 F-Super Duty vehicles built on or before 06/20/2014 and equipped with TBC brake controller module may exhibit the following customer symptoms, while towing a trailer with the TBC output setting in electric-medium, electric-heavy, and all electric-over-hydraulic (EOH) levels: The IPC message center may display 1-bar output in the trailer screen, while a minimum output signal is sent to the trailer, without driver brake pedal application. This output signal may cause a light trailer brake application on some types of Electronic Over Hydraulic (EOH) trailer brake systems. To correct the condition, replace the TBC module with part# FC3Z-2C006-B. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM) Section 206-10. For warranty claiming, use casual part 2C006 and applicable 2006D labor operation(s) in Section 02 of the SLTS Manual for the vehicle.

blk99

Reaction score
Hmmm interesting.... mine was built 7/14 but maybe thats it....

blk99

Reaction score
Is it normal that in the morning that its extra quiet, no faint rattle, and then within the first mile or 2, its like you flip a switch on and it goes to its normal noise level and power increases? Only ever noticed in mornings but it just did it in a traffic too....

sledhead_24_7

Reaction score
Is it normal that in the morning that its extra quiet, no faint rattle, and then within the first mile or 2, its like you flip a switch on and it goes to its normal noise level and power increases? Only ever noticed in mornings but it just did it in a traffic too....

Is your oil temp around 160?
My 11 and now my 15 both get little louder around 160 degrees. Then quotes back down 170 or so.

If so I'd say normal.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.