White Smoke

jbaal

Reaction score
My truck lets out a big puff of white smoke on start up. Its only in the morning, and its just one puff. It dosnt smoke at all any other time while im driving or when i start it in the afternoon. And Im not loosing coolant or any other fluids. What might it be. Any help is appreciated.

jbaal

Reaction score
I havent checked the gp's. I have waited for about 30 secs after the wait to start light goes off and it will still do it. I figured it might be condensation built up because of it only happenin in the morning. How would i go about checking the gp's.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
I havent checked the gp's. I have waited for about 30 secs after the wait to start light goes off and it will still do it. I figured it might be condensation built up because of it only happenin in the morning. How would i go about checking the gp's.

I do not think it is condensation. You can OHM out the glow plugs to see if they are still good. Less than 1 OHM, and the glow plug is still good.

johndeerezach

Reaction score
from what i understand that is raw fuel mine does it to only when cold and does it until the motor warms up a bit.

jbaal

Reaction score
The coldest its gotten was 33 degrees but average is mid 50's.I'll have to get an ohm metr and check them.

mandkole

Reaction score
You're expecting to see a little resistance, around 1 ohm. If they have real high resistance or zero, the plug is likely dead. In my experience, the best test is to check the plug itself as the harness method can add error due to resistance in the wire.

IMO, if its starting fine, I would not sweat a little puff for a second.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
if its below 50 its prolly gonna be a normal thing... definitely gonna do it in the low 30s... how long have you had this truck and problem?

live life full throttle

jbaal

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the help. I've had the truck a little over a year. It started doin it about month an ahalf ago about the time temps started dropin at night. But it didnt do it last winter so i figured i would ask about it.

jbaal

Reaction score
It has been taking a little longer to crank but i know i need to change the fuel filters and i just figured thats why it was taking longer.

Desertdweller

Reaction score
My truck has been doing the same thing. Last year it would start right up when 17deg outside and no smoke but this year I'm having longer crank time and a few seconds of white smoke when 44 deg outside. The rest of the starts throughout the day are smoke free and very little crank time.

Latest posts

Members online