who has dropped their tranny?

webb06

Reaction score
It's not bad. Hope you have some long extensions otherwise the top bolts aren't fun! Go through the bottom access hole to get all the TC bolts/nuts off. Have some vacuum caps to close off the lines or you'll have a big mess.

If its 4x4 I usually just leave the Tcase attached and pull it all together. I have a hoist so I have a lot of room.

Goodluck. Any questions just hit me up

Motostroker

Reaction score
Long extensions for sure, and if its your first time, have patience. It's really easy. I can have mine out in an hour. I have a box of plastic plugs that I cap all the lines off with and I cut the fingers off rubber gloves and zip tie the lines so it doesn't make a mess. Other then that. It's straight foward. It's an awkward big biotch though lol

Mike@MPD

Reaction score
When you tighten the bolt for the trans valve body plug be very careful. Too tight and it will snap. Ask me how I know lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Dzchey21

Reaction score
You don't have to drop the trans to do up pipes

08BIGRIG

Reaction score
Ya there is no need to drop the trans. Just leave it there. The up pipes will come out with the trans in place no problem at all. I have done it three times now with different setups.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I just pulled mine with the high pressure turbo (similar to stock) in place. But someone else will chime in I think they come out without pulling the turbos

jugger13

Reaction score
Took out my none egr rcd up pipes without taking either turbo out.
Take the brake master Cylinder off the firewall and work on the driver side pipe 1st.
Took it out the top thru the hole made by moving the master Cylinder.
With the driver side out it gives more room to get the bottom bolt on the passenger side up pipe.
I dropped the passenger side inner fender well for access to the manifold bolds, egt probe.
I ended up taking the passenger up pipe out the wheel well.

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
When you tighten the bolt for the trans valve body plug be very careful. Too tight and it will snap. Ask me how I know lol

And the trans mount studs... just a little too much and they will snap ;)

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
Just use a trans jack, unhook everything as listed prior, take the skid plate off ( if equipped ) and with the trans supported take the cross member out. Lower the jack and you can reach the top two bolts with some extensions and a swivel or wobble extension. Use a ratchet strap to secure the trans to the jack also. If your EGR is deleted you might as well go ahead and ditch the EGR branch pipe too while your in there. Just move the blocker plate to the pass side up pipe once you have drilled and tapped it. You'll need a a 1/4" NPT tap and a 7/16" drill bit to do that so you can move the BP sensor to the blocker plate. A little bit of gentle bending and shaping of the BP sensor tune and it will mount right up.

There are different length bolts holding the trans to the motor so keep track of which ones go where. Don't over torque any of them either, they are threaded into aluminum so won't take much to strip one out.

blk350on20s

Reaction score
1/2" bell housing bolts(bottom 2 are shorter). 9/16" torque converter nuts(assuming stock). Use a 1/2" ratchet with a short socket. Fits perfect. 18mm pass side nuts for trans cross member(6 nuts). 15mm drivers side bolts(3 of them). 13/16 nuts for trans mount as well as 2 15mm bolts. 12mm 12 point bolts for drive shafts. 13 mm bolts for t case(6 of them). 2 electrical connections and a breather tube on t case and 3 on trans. 2 on top and 1 on passenger side held in by a 10mm bolt. Trans lines are 11/16 and the main ports need to be held with a 1". Disconecct shifter linkage by using a flat head to pick up on the white clip tab and slide it up. Then pop off of the shift linkage portion. 2 13mm or 15mm bolts hold the cable portion to the trans. All set

Latest posts

Members online