Who has the best out of the box 160 single shot tunes?

2dedge

Reaction score
Seems like it wouldn't be that hard but I have been going back and forth with Jody for 2 years now. He had been very accommodating and has supposedly reflashed my dp5 multiple times but I am feed up!

The first problem is the truck is very reluctant to start when temps are below 30 degrees, but if I pull the chip it's fine. I have been told it the safety's he had built into it and supposedly no he has removed them so we will see come fall.

Throttle pedal is very lethargic and slow response.

My John wood tranny shifted awesome when I got my tunes and tranny 5 years ago but now he can't seem to make it shift right. Late shifts,harsh, without the chip it's not bad just a little soft.

Unfortunately live tuning is out because no one comes to New England and the truck doesn't feel any better than when I had 300k split shots.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Anyone else...

Hell DI did a bang up job for my wifes Excursion, first time, been in there now for about 50k.

2dedge

Reaction score
Sadly I took the DI out when I put the jwt tranny in, and my excursion was one if there test mules and was live tuned when it lived in Texas.

rat49f6

Reaction score
No live tuning in nj is why im running the php hydra and will be going with matts tunes. You can basically change tunes as fast as he can email them to you

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

2dedge

Reaction score
Who is Matt? Gearhead?

Does PHP use a ts style chip so if I need to change it later someone else can burn to it unlike DP?

CSIPSD

Reaction score
If I were you and you have to buy a new chip anyway... Get the hydra. All the tuners will email tunes to you, and you can load them yourself.

But yes, typically PHP uses a TS type chip.

rat49f6

Reaction score
Who is Matt? Gearhead?

Does PHP use a ts style chip so if I need to change it later someone else can burn to it unlike DP?

Yeah sorry matt from gearhead

Php had both style chips and everyone will send you tunes because it's encrypted
I even heard bill is coming out with a rotary knob for the hydra

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
php, gearhead, nltd/beans, tw are the ones I would go with. I'm sure all 4 of them have a lot of experience with those injectors.

nossliw

Reaction score
Subd.

I am having the exact same issues with my DP chip. The tuning has been waaay off since day one, and the reburn for the 160's made it much worse. Same deal in the cold...it has a hard time at first, and smokes like a freight train.... maybe even worse. All new injectors, VCG, UVHC, GP's, Relay, pigtails, batterys, ect...and still does not start properly like my brothers...

I sure wish I could get it lived tune since I don't want to just ditch the tuner switch and everything else that I paid for... Is DP the only company that can program their chips? Can gearheaded do it, on a non TS style chip? I have heard good things locally and all over the net regarding his tuning.

I don't give a **** who does it. I just want it fixed, biggest waste of money I have ever spent. Just smokes when cold, and blows a black waste when hot, only tune I can run in is the stock without blowing a black cloud everywhere. Its been on the truck 2 years now, and completely worth less.

Lets see we chased the thought of a boost leak...replaced up pipes with bellows, rebuilt the turbo, redid the intake plenums, new boots on an 6.0 IC all the way around, and we still are not at where we should be... Sort of at a loss for it, and would like to get a defined fix before I waste more money...

TXGLASSMAN

Reaction score
what kind of trucks do you guys have? Total Diesel Performance has had a great success with tuning the injectors your talking about.

Black 02

Reaction score
Jody tuned my 160/100's with e-mail tunes. They ran great and the shift points were spot on. If anything, my pedal was a little too touchy. Took a little while to get used to. It took one round of adjustments, but he made it right.

I know it's beside the point, but the F6 and now the Hydra make this process much easier. The main reason I didn't go with a TS style tuner in the first place. Shipping a chip back and forth across the country is just silly.

Yes, my PMR engine did :puke: , but that has nothing to do with shift points, smoking, and drivability.

I will also say that those 160/100's can get a little toasty on a stock turbo. I don't know what turbo you are running. I hit 1600 pretty easily on my race setting with the stocker, but not after I added the big S468.

Good luck.

Tom S

Reaction score
Subd.

I am having the exact same issues with my DP chip. The tuning has been waaay off since day one, and the reburn for the 160's made it much worse. Same deal in the cold...it has a hard time at first, and smokes like a freight train.... maybe even worse. All new injectors, VCG, UVHC, GP's, Relay, pigtails, batterys, ect...and still does not start properly like my brothers...

I sure wish I could get it lived tune since I don't want to just ditch the tuner switch and everything else that I paid for... Is DP the only company that can program their chips? Can gearheaded do it, on a non TS style chip? I have heard good things locally and all over the net regarding his tuning.

I don't give a **** who does it. I just want it fixed, biggest waste of money I have ever spent. Just smokes when cold, and blows a black waste when hot, only tune I can run in is the stock without blowing a black cloud everywhere. Its been on the truck 2 years now, and completely worth less.

Lets see we chased the thought of a boost leak...replaced up pipes with bellows, rebuilt the turbo, redid the intake plenums, new boots on an 6.0 IC all the way around, and we still are not at where we should be... Sort of at a loss for it, and would like to get a defined fix before I waste more money...

If I was that sure it was a tuning issue I would invest in a used chip and try a tune or two from someone else to see how that works. If that ends up not being the issue I would bet you could resell the chip for minimal loss.

2dedge

Reaction score
My truck is a 2000 excursion typical intake, exhaust, ect, Van turbo, bellowed up pipes, full force stage 1 160/100 sticks, John Woods Transmission, 6.4 converter. On my aggressive tune I max at 1250 light at full throttle but with a 8k enclosed 24' trailer she can get hot.

bruce

Reaction score
well 160/100's are stage 2 so if you tell them stage 1 most would assume thats a 160 with a stock nozzle so tunin may not be right

2dedge

Reaction score
I must be wrong I just know they are stage 1's I thought they were 160/??!

Codydiesel

Reaction score
matt at gear head is great, my buddies 2000 7.3 with warren 180/stock nozzles runs great very little smoke on the bigger tunes, cold start is crisp and clean, and makes great power

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
Stage 1's are 160s with a stock nozzle, typical stage 2's are 160s with an 80% or 100% nozzle.

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
And with you not knowing what you actually have I would send them out and have them flow tested first.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online