Who knows coilovers?

Project20v

Reaction score
I've been looking at a coilover conversion for my 99 Superduty. There are a few out there and I really like the Full Traction setup. The issue is that I only want 2.5 inches of lift and the smallest that is offered is a 4.5". Can I just get the builder kit and install a shorter coilover? How do I pick the right coilover?

Things I've considered:

05 axle swap. It's a Dana 60 and the offset is greater and it has a better turning radius. I don't want any more offset and I have an ARB for my 50. I want to keep my 50 and trim the steer stops a bit. If I swap the 50 out I'd need the rear to match the offset and I don't want a project that big or the cost.

Thoughts?

NotStock

Reaction score
I would strongly suggest you dont run a coilover on that small of a lift. Due to the length limitations, you will actually have less travel than you would with a standard coil spring and shock. Get a good set of coils and a nice resi shock and you will be much happier in the end.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Another twist on what Trevor is saying - if you want to run a coil over with a small lift like that then the coil mounts will be MUCH higher into the engine bay to make them effective, and that gets into pretty much everything under the hood near each wheel well. Its a TON of work to make it happen, more work than just lifting it a little more.

I would however toss in a vote for the 05 axle with a set of four links instead of radius arms and a good set of coils and reservoir shocks.

Project20v

Reaction score
Doesn't the coilover mount in the same location as the shock would? If that is so why would the travel be reduced? Wouldn't I just need the corresponding coilover body length?

I really just want to soften up the front a bit. I have old school Skyjacker 2-2.5 springs and the teflon pads are gone and the bushings are rotting. Maybe I should just get some new 2.5 inch leaf springs. You know of any good ones?

I'd love to put in an 05 axle, but my wheels already stick out far enough and like I said I already have an ARB for the 50 that won't go in the 60. The steering radius on the 05 is night and day too. Maybe I'm going too far with this and should just stick with leafs?

I'm also looking at the R4tech for the rear.

I wonder if I could get the Fulltraction builder kit, OEM 05 buckets and springs and a good shock. I should be able to build a lower mount for the OEM spring.

NotStock

Reaction score
Like HRT said, you could move the upper mount higher. In addition to clearance problems with existing OEM components, you could also end up having to build an engine cage as the added height is putting more leverage on the frame and needs additional support.

The OEM shocks mount lower on the axle than where the coil/coilover conversion mounts. Also the coilover conversion mounts eat up a little bit of length and the end caps and coil retainers on the coilovers eat up even more. This all adds up.

Aaron S

Reaction score
I say go with new factory leafs under a set of drop brackets that put the height where you want it.

Latest posts

Members online