Why Does a Wicked Wheel......

7point3

Reaction score
Generally make more whistle, but (I have heard) actually flows a bit less, because of "shaved" vanes or something

I understand it is supposed to spool quicker, and "varying opinions" on actually a wee bit LESS h/p.

If I can keep the H/P + or -, I'd buy one just to get more whistle. I have no reason why other than I like it.

Last edited:

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I didn't notice any loss at all installing mine.

I was also having surge so bad I couldn't go 3/4 throttle without my turbo crying. I assume that I probably actually gained something, even if it wasn't top-end power.

moose99psd

Reaction score
it has to do with the alternating height of the fins on the wheel. they were removed due to complaints by owners back when the trucks came out, part of the late 99 change over i believe. as far as it loosing hp, cant really help you there.. i could see why it might flow a bit less though.

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score
People say you will lose power but like JAP said, I couldn't go above 3/4 throttle a lot of the time and then with the WW I could now go 100%, so for me it was almost as if I had a 25% increase in power....your engines power potential means nothing if you can't actually get there.

TARM

Reaction score
Yeh if you can not go full power then what are you really losing. Power you can use you might as well not have. Saying that I think its proven the wheel does move less air and so you are going to be down on power if you were to go head to head at full power. What I do not understand is people changing to these things just to get more whistle.

I tend to think alot of surge must have to do with tuning otherwise why do some have it and others do not running the same parts. I never once had surge. But I have ridden in for all intensive purposes identical vehicle model and parts setups that have had it bad like is being mentioned here with not being able to go over 3/4 throttle

moose99psd

Reaction score
i know that altitude will change surge, ive driven a truck that at 3k+ where i live at it will surge, go down to sealevel it wont surge at all so air density does have something to do with it.

7point3

Reaction score
Yeh if you can not go full power then what are you really losing. Power you can use you might as well not have. Saying that I think its proven the wheel does move less air and so you are going to be down on power if you were to go head to head at full power. What I do not understand is people changing to these things just to get more whistle.

I tend to think alot of surge must have to do with tuning otherwise why do some have it and others do not running the same parts. I never once had surge. But I have ridden in for all intensive purposes identical vehicle model and parts setups that have had it bad like is being mentioned here with not being able to go over 3/4 throttle

Thanks to everyone for the input, it was just what I wanted to know.

TARM, good detailed answer. Thank you very much.

I have no reason for wanting more whistle, other than I just like it. I do not know why. I guess because to me, it just makes it more fun to drive, and I like the sound when I hear it on other guys trucks too. I don't think I could get it so loud that it would be intrusive. I have always loved to hear it on the big rigs too.

TyCorr

Reaction score
If you like the whistle, more power to ya!

My 38r whistles like crazy too...no actually it screams, almost like a siren!

Ive never had surge but I live at low altitude in flat ground. There is nothing wrong with a ww. If it allows you to apply any amount of throttle you choose then its an upgrade or even repair for something that isnt currently working for you.

I cant say how loud the whistle is because I cant say Ive ever had one. Although my 03 7.3 had hellacious turbo whistle.

Videos are misleading if thats what you are going by for the whistle, as they tend to pickup more frequencies more than others. My friend, Kyle made a video of me doing a WOT run in a 140hp tune with a 38r installed and all you could hear was the charger screaming. In all reality, in the truck, all you could hear was $800 worth of 37" rubber burning. I do believe that WW's do produce a healthy whistle if you have int/exhaust.

907DAVE

Reaction score
To those who experience surge, is your wastegate still hooked up?

neverkickn

Reaction score
I had surge with the waste gate hooked up. Tuned with 160's and stock charger it would surge bad.

steele86

Reaction score
the waste gate should be hooked up with the stock turbo at al times or for the long term life of the turbo i have the ats housing i lost about 2 to 3 psi, but boost isn't everthing its volume is what you need imo go with ported housing it will give you more volume then the stock housing and after market wheel ever could, and the surge is gone some time the after market wheels will have surge but very little. i don't what to start a war about wicked wheels vs ported housings i have used both i like the housing better hope that helps

7point3

Reaction score
If you like the whistle, more power to ya!

My 38r whistles like crazy too...no actually it screams, almost like a siren!

Ive never had surge but I live at low altitude in flat ground. There is nothing wrong with a ww. If it allows you to apply any amount of throttle you choose then its an upgrade or even repair for something that isnt currently working for you.

I cant say how loud the whistle is because I cant say Ive ever had one. Although my 03 7.3 had hellacious turbo whistle.

Videos are misleading if thats what you are going by for the whistle, as they tend to pickup more frequencies more than others. My friend, Kyle made a video of me doing a WOT run in a 140hp tune with a 38r installed and all you could hear was the charger screaming. In all reality, in the truck, all you could hear was $800 worth of 37" rubber burning. I do believe that WW's do produce a healthy whistle if you have int/exhaust.

Thanks!

7point3

Reaction score
the waste gate should be hooked up with the stock turbo at al times or for the long term life of the turbo i have the ats housing i lost about 2 to 3 psi, but boost isn't everthing its volume is what you need imo go with ported housing it will give you more volume then the stock housing and after market wheel ever could, and the surge is gone some time the after market wheels will have surge but very little. i don't what to start a war about wicked wheels vs ported housings i have used both i like the housing better hope that helps

Thanks.

CSIPSD

Reaction score

If you lost boost installing the ATS housing...

Then you did something wrong. The ATS housing does one thing and one thing only, stops surge. It does not allow the turbo to move or air or anything of the sort.

I agree however the ported housing is a better fix then the wheel.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
If you got the small .84 turbine housing on, it's going to surge when you put more fuel to it.
Get a bigger turbine housing and it should go away. Like the van turbo.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
What ty said is the truth... anyone with a 38r will almost get sick of hearing that whistle or howl or siren sound it makes at different boost levels.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.