Why not buy extra pcm when ******** under warranty?

Frashdog

Reaction score
PCM's round $200-$500 off eBay. Tune that one.
Why not remove stock pcm with other stuff as insurance while under warranty?
Sure this has been discussed, sorry I missed it.

JD3020

Reaction score
6.7 might be different, but on my Liberty CRD the PCM is in-locked to that vehicle and all the other module's in the system. I fried my PCM trying to tune it with a junk battery(which i didn't know at the time), so once i found a used PCM i had to send it out to have the VIN and mileage changed.

Emery19

Reaction score
Because that's basically pulling a fast one over on Ford. You run the risk of tuning under warranty. If your that concerned about the warranty, don't tune the truck. It's as simple as that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Swampfox

Reaction score
Because that's basically pulling a fast one over on Ford. You run the risk of tuning under warranty. If your that concerned about the warranty, don't tune the truck. It's as simple as that.

:whs: That's why things are like they are now. Gotta pay to play.

Frashdog

Reaction score

But it's ok to pull a fast one on the EPA and break the law!?
I was not asking the moral police their opinions...

My truck is for work I have no plans to tune it...I was just wondering if it was possible.

Sportchassis06

Reaction score

My truck is for work I have no plans to tune it...I was just wondering if it was possible.
Yeah Don't F**k the government,they hate competition!LOL

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
Yes, apples and oranges. Did it on my 2006, can't see any reason it wouldn't work if the 6.7L was loaded with the As Built file and any other data needed like the injector codes.

I say what do you have to loose other than the time and effort.

Emery19

Reaction score

The difference is your not asking the EPA to pay for the repairs when you blow your truck up. Ford would be.

And I'm not the moral police. It's just common sense

Frashdog

Reaction score
The difference is your not asking the EPA to pay for the repairs when you blow your truck up. Ford would be.

So you think that you run a greater risk of "blowing your truck up" if you ******? Besides may be a transmission failure from 4x4 boosted launches and burn outs every day, what exactly are you thinking is gonna "blow up"?

I'm more so imagining a simple issue clearly not related to the "mods" that a dealer would get all confused/excited/angry with and just deny warranty. Bad fuel? I saw it over and over with my 7.3 that I ran on vegi oil for 100k of it's life...friggin every "mechanic" not worry his salt would get all worked up just looking at the system and be blaming the turbo seals or transmission failures on the veg oil...

The dealer I got the truck from told me, if I don't show records and receipts for every service as per manual, they gonna deny. Started as me asking, you gonna deny if I put an after market fuel filter on. Dealer, "yup." Dude started tweaking when I had then swap the 35" tires/wheels off my 6.0 trade in, telling me that's gonna rub (void your warranty) crap. No rubbing.

So you be justifying your "common sense" as what?

Reaction score

So you think that you run a greater risk of "blowing your truck up" if you ******? Besides may be a transmission failure from 4x4 boosted launches and burn outs every day, what exactly are you thinking is gonna "blow up"?

I'm more so imagining a simple issue clearly not related to the "mods" that a dealer would get all confused/excited/angry with and just deny warranty. Bad fuel? I saw it over and over with my 7.3 that I ran on vegi oil for 100k of it's life...friggin every "mechanic" not worry his salt would get all worked up just looking at the system and be blaming the turbo seals or transmission failures on the veg oil...

The dealer I got the truck from told me, if I don't show records and receipts for every service as per manual, they gonna deny. Started as me asking, you gonna deny if I put an after market fuel filter on. Dealer, "yup." Dude started tweaking when I had then swap the 35" tires/wheels off my 6.0 trade in, telling me that's gonna rub (void your warranty) crap. No rubbing.

So you be justifying your "common sense" as what?

You have a **** dealer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson%E2%80%93Moss_Warranty_Act

That right there is what dealers and OE are required to go by. They have to be able to prove whatever modification is done to the vehicle is what caused the part failure in order to deny warranty. Basically, if you put an Wix air filter in, they can't blame the engine blowing up on it unless there's clear evidence of dirt in the intake. Same with a lift kit or larger tires.

I just had a customer go through this with Case on a Quadtrac I tuned for him. Took a 480 and turn it up to a 525. 2 months later the dealer was out to do a repair on the hydraulics system, customer asked them not to flash it without letting him know first because it was tuned. Local dealer threw a fit about it, claimed the whole warranty was void, it would blow up any second, etc. One phone call from his lawyer explaining the Warranty Act to them and they shut up and repaired it.

Basically, it comes down to people working at the dealerships that don't know how to fill out the paper work correctly so they're scared to death that Ford will reject the claim and not pay them.

Ice Cream Sammich

Reaction score
You have a **** dealer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson%E2%80%93Moss_Warranty_Act

That right there is what dealers and OE are required to go by. They have to be able to prove whatever modification is done to the vehicle is what caused the part failure in order to deny warranty. Basically, if you put an Wix air filter in, they can't blame the engine blowing up on it unless there's clear evidence of dirt in the intake. Same with a lift kit or larger tires.

With all due respect, no. The way it works in the real world: Ford says your Wix filter caused the motor to blow, YOU pay YOUR money to prove that it didnt.

Good luck proving in a courtroom that removing federally required emission equipment did not cause a failure.

cappa

Reaction score
Yup exactly, and exactly the reason you shouldn't feel guilty about getting something fixed under warranty with a tuned truck. If the tables were turned they wouldn't feel guilty about screwing you out of warranty for no reason. Odds are the failure would have happened either way and wasn't caused by the tune so why should you make that readily apparent so they have an excuse to screw you over. Maybe I'm out of line but this is how I feel. If you can reset to stock and get something covered that should be covered anyways, have at it. I wouldn't loose any sleep over it.

Latest posts

Members online