Why should you run a Coolant Filter?

Reaction score
10553568_704949529552477_4387499362930889031_n.jpg

That came off a truck after 5000 miles. The filter element was completely full of that same rust/casting sand/mystery material. Truck was running ELC coolant and had been flushed before the filter was installed.

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
My first thought was "because the coolant in a 6.0 is dirtier than a $2 hooker"
Lol
And that pic verifies this.

semperfidooordie

Reaction score
Oh do you say just drain old coolant and fill with ELC? I'm most worried about ripping it all up, flushing and clogging a brand new oil cooler

MrOneEyedBoh

Reaction score
What I did was drained, filled with distilled and did that 9 times. Reason for that is that there is an 8 gallon roughly capacity of coolant. So if you figure out the dilution ratio of gold, that many flushes with distilled will net you damn near no gold left in the system.

Also remove your thermostat and run your heater as well, plus take it for about a 5-10 min drive each fill and drain.

It isnt gospel, just what I did.

So in the end you will need 4 gallons of Zerex elc-1 red coolant ( concentrate ) . when you drain the petcock on the rad, you will have roughly 4 gallons of distilled in the block still. So just fill the degas with the ELC coolant and in the end it should be around 50/50 mix.

sbracing240

Reaction score
With the vt365 or 6.0 the engine has metal parts in coolant galleries that react to tap water. Something with the chloride in the water causes corrosion. The fix is not a coolant filter. Because on the navistar vt365 same engine in school buses and flatbed wreckers they have the coolant filter and still have problems. The fix for international was a complete flush of system and change over to the old green coolant with distilled water. Also with the sca additive for diesels.

MrOneEyedBoh

Reaction score
With the vt365 or 6.0 the engine has metal parts in coolant galleries that react to tap water. Something with the chloride in the water causes corrosion. The fix is not a coolant filter. Because on the navistar vt365 same engine in school buses and flatbed wreckers they have the coolant filter and still have problems. The fix for international was a complete flush of system and change over to the old green coolant with distilled water. Also with the sca additive for diesels.
Do you have cited proof of this? Not saying you're lying, just the first I've heard of it.

sbracing240

Reaction score
Yeah the TSB or technician service bulletin is 10007990 if you call a international dealer they will tell you all about it. Back in 2004 international was swapping out coolant and flushing systems. I was one of the technician doing it. Also there was a TSB for the rear gear train replacement. Ford doesn't have the problem they don't run a gear driving fuel pump or prowler steering pump. But what happened was the gears broke and put metal into engine.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I dont worry about clogging a new oil cooler. Yes it is always best to flush the system prior to disassemble, but in some cases, like a fully blown egr cooler or ruptured oil cooler, you cant run the engine. so in those cases its best just to pull block drain, T in a hose and run the water for a bit to get most of the debris out.

We clogged one oil cooler, 3 times... That was because the block was so far gone, the block would be flaking off after several heat cycles due to rusting of the system. The hoses themselves were embedded with a sandy orange rust. After the 3rd cooler, and yes there was a filter installed prior to all of this, we said the engine needed to be replaced as well as all coolant lines and radiator.

Reaction score
I dont worry about clogging a new oil cooler. Yes it is always best to flush the system prior to disassemble, but in some cases, like a fully blown egr cooler or ruptured oil cooler, you cant run the engine. so in those cases its best just to pull block drain, T in a hose and run the water for a bit to get most of the debris out.

We clogged one oil cooler, 3 times... That was because the block was so far gone, the block would be flaking off after several heat cycles due to rusting of the system. The hoses themselves were embedded with a sandy orange rust. After the 3rd cooler, and yes there was a filter installed prior to all of this, we said the engine needed to be replaced as well as all coolant lines and radiator.

Just finished a 6.0 that was the same way. Truck had 300,000 on it so I pulled the motor, had it torn down, hot tanked, new rings and bearings. Back on the road now an Livewire TS so the guy can keep an eye on his temps if it tries to plug the cooler again.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.