Why the influx of ARP stud jobs leaking?

Zmann

Reaction score
Zmann, I know they are USA made but do they use 100% USA materials. That's where I get swayed. They don't have to be USA but when you start using india and china as your raws supplier.... That's what I want to know. I emailed ARP, and I'll report back.

I have talked to ARP
IMHO it doesn't matter where the raw material comes from
it's the testing they do to the material to verify the metallurgy that matters

and I am not saying I know where the raw materials come from I did not ask that particular question because it's a moot point getting a poor raw material isn't eliminated just because it's a US supplier

Zmann

Reaction score
Here is a direct email if the one your using was just the contact us link
Sam Benson
Technical Support and Customer Service Supervisor ARP, (Automotive Racing Products) [email protected]
800.826.3045 toll free
805.339.2200 office
805.650.0742 fax

MrOneEyedBoh

Reaction score
Moot ehh not to me. That is a deciding factor. I wonder how many they test. Every 1000th stud? Every 100th? Those countries are notorious for bad materials. I guess to each his own.

sootie

Reaction score
Moot ehh not to me. That is a deciding factor. I wonder how many they test. Every 1000th stud? Every 100th? Those countries are notorious for bad materials. I guess to each his own.

wow-thats quite the generalization.

dont just assume that just because something is made in USA that it has stricter quality control. it is company specific-not region specific.

MrOneEyedBoh

Reaction score
Really? Alright Haha. This isn't a debate about country of origin on the materials. Lets stick to the topic.

Zmann

Reaction score
the topic is your calling out ARP in a back door way

the Moot point means where the material is doesn't make a chit because ARP doesn't just assume it's good no matter where it comes from so yes raw material acquisition is a moot point end of story

they don't just piss away all the time and money to make a product and then failure test the 1000th stud to see if it was made properly

they analyze the raw materials and have quality control in place for every step of the way

you should probably research them before you sling any mud in their direction
why didn't you email them before this thread ?

specially all this based on a head gasket failure that could be the cause of many variables not to mention any stud/bolt wasn't designed to contain the pressures of hydro lock situation IMHO

MrOneEyedBoh

Reaction score
I did and I have to call another division.

Here is the email:

You can contact our manufacturing division about all materials and manufacturing.* 805-525-1497

Thank you,

Shawn Umphries

I'm not slinging mud just wondering man.

Last edited:

Zmann

Reaction score
your wondering out loud about the quality of a product ?

it's not like Recon where you can see the product is crap and they deserve to be called out on it

ARP is very respected and gives back to our sport/hobby and actually answers questions directly they have nothing to hide IMHO if they say a fastener is good for a certain spec I fully believe that is not going to be a guess on their part

I would have not mentioned their name and then questioned their source of material maybe being Chinese chit without some tangible evidence

that is what gets Me going in their Defense not that they need it LOL

MrOneEyedBoh

Reaction score
I understand 100%. I guess it was more of a discussion. Im going to call them and find out soon.

No hard feelings bro.

sonic_superduty

Reaction score
Ive personally came across alot of DEEP cracks (in to water jackets) in the last 3 trucks ive done... between 130,xxx-210,000 and all have received New heads, just a complete piss poor design...

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
If they were made of poor materials then we would se3 failing fastners, cracked or broken studs or hardware. Or stretched studs. Since we arnt seeing that I would first suspect head problems or poor install

kdogg85

Reaction score
Welcome to the world of hotroding. Drive all week, fix it all weekend.

I could see pooching gaskets if you drive with the throttle out past the radiator all the time, and your putting down a ton of power. Or, what people think is proper machining isn't. Or, how many blocks are warped and aren't checked.

Zmann

Reaction score
exactly
if the block is not flat what are you going to do ?
most won't even check the block because the fix is expensive

there are so many installation variables but I don't consider the ARP fasteners integrity to be one of them

MrOneEyedBoh

Reaction score
What's your guys outlook on taking some material off of the head? Some arguments are yay some nay. I'm wondering if that has any measurable effect on failures

sootie

Reaction score
What's your guys outlook on taking some material off of the head? Some arguments are yay some nay. I'm wondering if that has any measurable effect on failures

?? like normal head decking or something new.

Zmann

Reaction score
Ahh heads
there is a whole other jack load of variables some may know all of this but here is what I have gathered as non easy to find info

if you have the heads machined what finish is the best for a MLS gasket ? ( there is a whole science on this with specific terms for varied finishes RMS /RMA blah blah blah LOL )
what was the OEM finish ?

how much can you take off what if a little to much is taken off ?

can you verify the machine shops work ? most can not and you likely won't be able to verify the surface finish only the flatness and not the material removed or valve clearance

Last edited:

MrOneEyedBoh

Reaction score
Yeah that's what I was thinking too. Then I guess it goes back to taking your truck to a shop that is competent and hopefully they use a machine shop that is known to be good and accurate

Zmann

Reaction score
agreed
I did not have the luxury of getting mine checked since ford had it on a lift and they wouldn't give Me the time to take them out since it was warranty work and taking up the lift

but I had a shop all lined out and it was the same one BPD uses
their shop does enough of them that they would know if there were quality issues with the machine shop

Latest posts

Members online