Why?

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
The II pump may have been hit or miss (mostly miss) but if you got a good one it was good for a 1000hp. I don't know if a single cp3 could. I've always seen Twin cp3s on high HP duramaxs so I don't know.

Yeah, hit or miss is pretty accurate. I saw yours hold up, and what it was capable of, but I also saw HeavyHaul's..... He is not a fan! LOL And no, I have yet to see a single CP3 hold 1 K hp.... Which sort of makes me mad, knowing what our pump is capable of, and not having any other options, other than the II unit.... COME ON, JD!!!!!! Crack the whip, and get Elites pump doing work!

B585Ford

Reaction score
While it does flow much more fuel than a CP3, they are not as reliable.

Just asking a question also....I know as of right now, modded K16s are not reliable, but I thought in the stock form, they were about as reliable as a stock CP3. Is that wrong?

713Diesel

Reaction score
In my opinion, yes.

I thought the K16's were supposed to be pretty good as far as reliability. Once again someone speak up if I am incorrect in these next few statements. I thought that the guys that were having K16 issues stem from the LPFP not doing its job correctly. Something along the lines of there was a vacuum on the K16 from the LPFP not working properly. This is why the Airdog is such a good upgrade for us. Based on what I read recently someone did the Airdog upgrade and did not get any more HP and did not get any higher rail pressure but the rail pressure never dropped below a certain amount. Pretty much it is a great upgrade to maintain rail pressure and be insurance on your HPFP.

Motostroker

Reaction score
Well I would lean towards LPFP psi causing the K16's failures. And it depends on how well you keep up with fuel filters and your fuel quality. All in maintenance I guess. I had 210k on my stock HPFP and it held 23k on hot damn tunes. Minded I have an airdog 165 and I change filters religiously.

uga33

Reaction score
I thought the K16's were supposed to be pretty good as far as reliability. Once again someone speak up if I am incorrect in these next few statements. I thought that the guys that were having K16 issues stem from the LPFP not doing its job correctly. Something along the lines of there was a vacuum on the K16 from the LPFP not working properly. This is why the Airdog is such a good upgrade for us. Based on what I read recently someone did the Airdog upgrade and did not get any more HP and did not get any higher rail pressure but the rail pressure never dropped below a certain amount. Pretty much it is a great upgrade to maintain rail pressure and be insurance on your HPFP.

While I cant vouche for what the original owner may have run through it, I have already had a fuel system replaced. My brother's has had to have a pump, and a couple other people I know have had to have them to. Know a lot of people with D/Max's and I dont know of a one personally that has had to have one replaced. The good thing about my complete fuel system replacement was that the new fuel system only had 5 miles on it when the Airdog went in. It should last forever :clapping:

B585Ford

Reaction score
While I cant vouche for what the original owner may have run through it, I have already had a fuel system replaced. My brother's has had to have a pump, and a couple other people I know have had to have them to. Know a lot of people with D/Max's and I dont know of a one personally that has had to have one replaced. The good thing about my complete fuel system replacement was that the new fuel system only had 5 miles on it when the Airdog went in. It should last forever :clapping:

Did you stick with stock HPFP?

forcefed6.4ford

Reaction score
There are a ton of 08-10 SD's working up here and there have been very few fuel system failures. Those that have failed were due to bad fuel and restricted filters. I fill up off the service rig on a regular basis. The rig gets fuel first then me the the pump and finally the light plant. If there is any crud in the system it is purged before I get fuel and I never ever get bottoms. Moral of the story maintenance, maintenance maintenance.

713Diesel

Reaction score
I imagine that if we spent some time on the Dmax forums we would hear about some CP3 failures. My question is if it is the failure rate is substantially lower than our K16 pump. I think we can all agree that they sell quite a few more powerstrokes than Dmax so yeah you are probably going to hear more K16 failures.

If we have a higher failure rate is higher on our K16 pump I would like to know different opinions on what is the cause. My opinion, and this is since I have learned that a K16 pump is a better pump, is the failure rate higher because it is just a more complex piece of machinery. I know this is not apples to apples but what is going to fail more a manual cranked window or an electric one? A Caddilac or a Chevy? I guess what is apples to apples is what do you hear more failure on, a 7.3 injector or a 6.0 injector? From what I understand the 7.3 injector is very simple, tried and true where the 6.0's were very complex, new technology that had a higher failure rate.

At first I was not buying the bad fuel/fuel filter idea. Once I got to thinking about it I imagine that any contaminates/water/trash that get past the fuel filters it is magnified exponentially on a system that works at a higher rate/PSI. I would think of it as jumping off a boat a 5 mph probably doesn't hurt that much but if you do it a 50 mph you are going to get F'd up. (If yall cant tell by now I like analogies....... it helps my simple mind relate to things).

I appreciate the posts about the fuel system but I really was hoping I was going to get more response on the heads and head bolts situation. If I was a big wig at Ford and was having all the head gasket issues that they had on the 6.0 I think I would have demanded more head bolts. In my mind this isn't rocket science especially since they knew they were going up to a turbo that would produce more PSI! I am sure someone told them that what they had was more than sufficient in stock form, which is probably true, and that the majority of head gasket failure on the 6.0's was attributed to EGR issues or aftermarket go fast parts, which is also probably true.

Head flow really has me aggravated. If we had CFM #'s similar to the Cummins or hell even the Dmax these motors would be hands down, no questions asked an absolute beast that would put down even more insane #'s than we currently are. Earlier on in the thread someone posted you lose some of the swirl and what not with a higher cfm which could have negative effects. Like I said earlier the only knowledge that I have of heads is with NA gas motors. I know for a fact that I swapped out the heads and intake on my 5.0 fox body mustang with some trickflow heads and intake manifold with the stock compression ratio with just some tweaks to the fuel system and it ran like a scalded ass ape. I also got the same MPG's. Point of the story is I don't see how increasing potential CFM flow could be a bad thing.

713Diesel

Reaction score
I agree but I would have to think that there have been some that have had issue's even in stock form. By no means is it a wide spread problem but we probably never hear about it since no one, or very little, comes on these forums with a 100% stock form truck. Only time will tell on how many HG issues will happen on stock trucks with 400k on them........ I would bet money that it would be a higher rate than on a 100% stock Cummins. BTW I feel like I am being a Cummins fan boy here which I am not......... They just happen to have a great flowing head and a lot of head bolts........ I guess I am bitter more than anything lol.

713Diesel

Reaction score
Really? I did not know that. Learn something new everyday. I wonder why they have issues?

Nic

Reaction score
saw in DPC 2012 that one 6.7 blew them on the dyno and had to retorque..If im not mistaken the truck was pushing some 700hp. Kind of made me scratch my head

so..Elites upgrade kit is much wanted..And nobody makes aftermarket heads?

Last edited:

713Diesel

Reaction score
There was some noise about someone making Billet heads but I haven't heard of anything in a while. Not sure what they would run but I would be very interested.

713Diesel

Reaction score
I would be interested in how much gain there would be on a stock turbo and stock fuel if empire does make them. Based on the results that we have seen on the aftermarket exhaust manifolds I imagine there would be some pretty good results.

Latest posts

Members online