Wierd bucking issue!!

Sniper32

Reaction score
Ok yall I have a wierd one for ya...Recently my truck has started acting up from time to time, its kinda hard to describe so bear with me...

Im driving out of town going 62 on cruise control, get to the beginning of the mountain (switchbacks), so i get off cruise and get on the pedal to keep my speed up going up hill. The truck starts to buck, roal coal, the boost guage goes crazy, and the turbo starts barking (all this happens around 50-55 mph). Normally if I back out of it for a few seconds then get back into it, its fine no bucking, smoke, or barking but it feels like the normal power isnt there even though the boost guage is reading 20-30 psi. The mountain is about 2-3 miles up and the same down, by the time I get down everything feels normal and functioning properly. Ive tried to reproduce it on flat grounds or smaller hills and cant...it only happends on the first steep grade on either side of the mountain!

I can do a WOT run from a stop light or on ramp or whatever and have no issues what so ever, but ther last 3 times ive gone over the mountain it has done this both ways. EGT, EOT, ECT, Trans Temp, FICM Voltage, Batt Voltage are all normal before the issue starts, unfortunately my low pressure oil psi and fuel psi guages took a **** on me so I dont know those #s, but again it never happens any other time no matter the load.

I was initially thinking stiction, but ive never heard of stiction messing with the turbo at all, I also thought maybe a fuel pick up issue but if that were the case I wouldnt be roaling coal at the same time. My new thought is possibly the turbo but i dont know...Does anyone have any clue whats going on????

Any help or questions will be appreciated!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

cfdeng7

Reaction score
Sounds like the vanes in the turbo might be sticking. How many miles on the turbo? Also whose tuning? I've run tunes that can fall under the turbo when it locks in od. Next time try hitting towhaul before hitting the hill to delay od a bit and see if it still does it.

Sniper32

Reaction score
Maybe 10k on the turbo since it was cleaned,and im running erics x street, and phps 80 ficm tune. Ive driven the mountain before w that set up and no problems, so i dokt think its the tunes. The sticking vanes did cross my mind tho...ill try that the next time i take the mountain

Sniper32

Reaction score
Can you explain to me how the ebp would cause the bucking? I just dont know much about its purpose and how it affects the turbo

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.