Will be replacing alternator

brkncly

Reaction score
My alternator is going bad, plan on replacing it this weekend. How hard is this to do or should I have the dealership do it? From what I know so far is that it will be easier to access the alternator with tires off and wheel liner removed. The thing that concerns me is getting to the auto belt tentioner to get the serpentine belt off and on. Looks like I have to remove the radiator shroud on top and relieve it after the radiator shroud is removed. How hard is it disassemble the radiator shroud? I am mechanically inclined, just want to know how difficult it is to replace an alternator. Dealership quoted me 2hrs at $95.00 an hour for labor and $473.53 after$75.00 core charge for a OEM 200amp alternator. Wanting to save a little money since it's after Christmas. Any tips or advice would greatly be appreciated! Thank you!

Last edited:

09strokerpwr

Reaction score
Its not that bad just did it earlier this winter. I took the wheel liner out and turned the tires, and used a swivel head ratchet from the bottom side to loosen the tensioner. Alot easier with a second set of hands tho took bout hour er so.

Latest posts

Members online