Window stuck down

PStroked444

Reaction score
Well Im 7K miles from home and my wife tells me the window on the truck is stuck down. It has done this once to me years ago. But after just letting it set for 30min it went back up. She said it has sat over night and wont go up. Any suggestions. Getting to cold out to drive with the window down. Thanks.

CJ

GreasyFingers

Reaction score
Does it sound like it's getting power, is it just binding? If so the felt needs a good spray od silicone and the inner tracks need some lythum grease. My windows were slow to come up, then finally stopped. I would have to pull on the top edge while hitting the button till I cleaned and lubed everything. Now they work just fine.

If it's an electrical problem I would first check the switch plug. Can your wife use a multimeter?

PStroked444

Reaction score
Ok got some more info. She says she can hear a relay clicking. But it is not moving. So it has power. Thats a start. It just wont go up.

PStroked444

Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas Fingers. I have done that in the past. Maybe its a bad spot on the motor...similar to starter. Then you beat it and it startsLOL

CJ

MAC

Reaction score
Sounds like the window motor is the problem, relays clicking, but the motors not engaging.

I'd take the motor out and see if any water has gotten in it, or if any connections are corroded.

Also when greasing electronic parts never use automotive grease, always use electrode grease or petroleum jelly, I always use petroleum jelly cause it's cheap.

Charles

Reaction score
A lot of times the wiring between the body and the door gets chaffed up or broken and it's almost always the window. You have to look inside the little black corrogated rubber loom. It's been the passenger's side door both times I've seen this.

Next time if the truck is pre 01, pop the trim panel off (on that door) and run a jumper straight from the door lock switch power to the one of the switch legs for the window switch (one is up, one is down). If it tries to roll down switch to the other leg. I have rolled them up this way before in a pinch.

TRUBBS

Reaction score
A lot of times the wiring between the body and the door gets chaffed up or broken and it's almost always the window. You have to look inside the little black corrogated rubber loom. It's been the passenger's side door both times I've seen this.

Next time if the truck is pre 01, pop the trim panel off (on that door) and run a jumper straight from the door lock switch power to the one of the switch legs for the window switch (one is up, one is down). If it tries to roll down switch to the other leg. I have rolled them up this way before in a pinch.

The leg on the plug up where it plugs into the switch or on the motor? My power window switch has quit working & I "hot wired" the window down to make sure the motor work & now it's stuck down & raining :mad:

PStroked444

Reaction score
WOW. Thanks for all the help. When I get the chance I will certainly look into all that was suggested. Anyone know how much a motor costs for the window? Just asking.

CJ

JLDickmon

Reaction score
about $85 from NAPA... don't forget to get the rivets for the motor-to-regulator and regulator-to-door..

Arisley

Reaction score
Lots of good info here. Personally, I would replace the relay first. For a check, you could swap it with any other relay on the truck, they are almost all the same one. I like to use the blower motor relay for a test relay.

Charles

Reaction score
The leg on the plug up where it plugs into the switch or on the motor? My power window switch has quit working & I "hot wired" the window down to make sure the motor work & now it's stuck down & raining :mad:

In the past I have jumpered power from the power leg on the door lock switch to the power leg on the window switch. Then use the window switch itself to either roll the window up or down as you see fit.

TRUBBS

Reaction score
In the past I have jumpered power from the power leg on the door lock switch to the power leg on the window switch. Then use the window switch itself to either roll the window up or down as you see fit.

How would one go about checking the wiring in the doors? Im out of ideas as to what my problem is so I think that's my problem...

Atsah

Reaction score
I just put a new FORD motor in and it came with the actuator for $57.00

Charles

Reaction score
In both cases I've dealt with of this, neither time was there a thing wrong with the actuator, switch or any involved circuitry. In both cases the wiring was broken in the area where the door meets the body and was simply not giving power to the switch.

Before I coughed up the money for new electronics parts that they probably will not take back, I would verify that I did in fact have power at the switch first.

PStroked444

Reaction score
Yes also good to know. Look for the problem before assuming you know the problem.:priest:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.