Wiring light bar to fog lights

Platinumf250

Reaction score
Installing a 40" light bar in my bumper and noticed the wires for the fog lights are right by it. So instead of running a wire back to an up fitter switch, could I just tie into the fog lights? Just ground to the frame and find the hot wire to the fogs right? I would assume there is a relay built in there somewhere so it wouldn't burn it up if it got too hot right?

bhudson

Reaction score
How are you going to turn your light bar on and off? Wouldn't they be on every time your fog lights are on?

Platinumf250

Reaction score
In my truck you pull on the light switch to turn your fogs on. So you can turn it on or off. But yeah it would come on with the fog lights.

bhudson

Reaction score
Yep mine is the same way and that's what I was getting at. Just use your upfitter switches. Won't take that much longer

powerstroke22

Reaction score
It would likely got to hot, I had a problem with my Q2's on the factory harness.

You can still use the fog light switch just use the factory wire as a relay trigger for the light bar.

Platinumf250

Reaction score
Just seemed easier since the wires were a lot more accessible. But I'd rather have it on the up fitters anyways. Does the cover to the up fitters just pop off then access the wires that way?

truckman1974

Reaction score
The upfitter switches are prewired. Just do a youtube search for super duty upfitter switches wiring or something along those lines and you'll find what you need. The wires are already wired through the firewall and accessible under the hood. That's why everyone is saying it's no extra work to wire to there.

zporta

Reaction score
There are the upfitter wires that are located under the steering column and slightly to the left. And then you need to connect to corresponding wire you want to use to the through wire. Which is the wire located under the driver side dash up a little higher. They already run through the fire wall into The engine bay. They are located behind the fuse box in the engine bay

Last edited:

TheBigNasty

Reaction score
The upfitter switches are prewired. Just do a youtube search for super duty upfitter switches wiring or something along those lines and you'll find what you need. The wires are already wired through the firewall and accessible under the hood. That's why everyone is saying it's no extra work to wire to there.

Unless it's changed, the wires do not run through the firewall and under the hood. They are near the steering column. Still very easy.

If you really wanted it to be triggered by the fogs, just catch the power wire from the fog and run it to the trigger side of the light bar relay.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.