Wow, electrical weirdness...

firehunter

Reaction score
Wife's truck so almost all information is second hand to me. She insists that everything was fine until today.

Windows sometimes worked and other times not. Then the A/C quit at random times without turning any switches. Then the aftermarket gauges went full sweep while she was driving and reset to normal. The dash gauges worked consistently but would dim at random times. Then we get to a funeral...

...now, no start. Turn the key on and it randomly cycles the dash gauges and will stop at random times and just go dim with no gauge activity. All the warning lights come on then will go off at random times. Then relays under the dash started buzzing on and off almost in time with a turn signal - only the turn signal works just fine and the buzzing is not associated with the turn signals. Even the dome light has a pulsing to it. Any attempt to start just results in a buzz/clicking like a low battery - batteries are exactly one year old and I tried hooking up jumper cables for 20+ minutes with no change.

I removed the chip (with the keys out of the ignition) and no change. I swapped relays around in the fuse panel, no change. Wiggled the ignition switch while the key was on, no direct connection to the random occurrences. Cleaned all battery terminals, no change. Checked wiring at the starter, all good.

I don't ask for a diagnosis over the internet - especially for an electrical issue - but are there obvious places for me to start? PCM? I don't know if there is a CEL or not as the dash lights don't stay on long enough to tell. I am guessing so, but...?

Thanks. Don't have much choice but to take it to the dealer because of where the truck broke down at. *sigh* :fustrate:

Arisley

Reaction score
Sorry, I don't know why I missed this. That was going to be my first thought was batteries.

Always replace batteries as a pair. If one was bad, the other will not be far behind, and it will kill the new one also.

Also, you need to have the alternator checked, make sure it is working OK.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Sorry, I don't know why I missed this. That was going to be my first thought was batteries.

Always replace batteries as a pair. If one was bad, the other will not be far behind, and it will kill the new one also.

God, if $$ was never an issue Id change the alternator(s), starter, and batteries all at once. With a dual alt, dual batt truck the trubleshooting doesnt become tangible until you're brokedown.

Dual alts keep batts charged up pretty consistently, dual batteries ensure that even a failing starter will have enough amperage to crank until the gap in the starter is.just so big that its dead.

firehunter

Reaction score

Yep, we did all this the next day. Replaced both batteries under warranty (full replacement) and checked the alternator = good. Discovered that one front shock and the front crank seal are leaking but that is for another day...

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yep, we did all this the next day. Replaced both batteries under warranty (full replacement) and checked the alternator = good. Discovered that one front shock and the front crank seal are leaking but that is for another day...

That wear sleeve is.cheap. Buuuut you could get a melling while you are in there for under 100 clams.

PA Stroker

Reaction score
All the problems you have sound like a ground problem. Check the grounds on the front if the block. Also check the ground strap on the back of the head and the ground straps from the frame to the body. The windows could be a broken wire inside the rubber going for the door to the cab.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Get one that will "grab" the outside edges or if you have one that uses the holes in the damper, be sure you clean out the holes and.chase the holes with a tap or you'll wind up with stripped out holes, most likely. Also make sure you protect the threads in the snout of the.crank with your life or you'll be tapping it. Not.fun!

Latest posts

Members online