wrong oil filter cap...... Big trouble?

TjMiller

Reaction score
Ok just realized I have a wix oil filter cap on my truck and I have been running motorcraft filters for about.................. 30k. Am I screwed? Apparently the wix cap is taller which the wix filter makes up for WTF? This if F=ckin ridiculous.

Last edited:

TjMiller

Reaction score
I've done that before. Just get you a motorcraft cap and filter and run it.

I cant believe I didn't catch this earlier. Bought truck used so didn't know any different. 30k miles is a long way with unfiltered oil not to mention all the dry starts because the oil is draining back. Should say in bold print "Do not reuse cap"

78f100

Reaction score
6.4 isn't as bad on as a 6.0 but its still not good for it. It has basically been returning lots of unfiltered oil to the pan and most likely had lower oil pressure. Not much you can do but correct it now, your probably ok but good thing you caught it.

TjMiller

Reaction score
6.4 isn't as bad on as a 6.0 but its still not good for it. It has basically been returning lots of unfiltered oil to the pan and most likely had lower oil pressure. Not much you can do but correct it now, your probably ok but good thing you caught it.

Is this why the oil can light would flash upon start up? Always did it thought it was normal. Never stayed on just flashed after start up.

Like I said been running this setup since I bought the truck 30,000 miles ago. I never had a huge problem snapping the motorcraft filter into the wix cap why didn't they design the cap so it doesn't even come close to snapping in?

78f100

Reaction score
Is this why the oil can light would flash upon start up? Always did it thought it was normal. Never stayed on just flashed after start up.

Like I said been running this setup since I bought the truck 30,000 miles ago. I never had a huge problem snapping the motorcraft filter into the wix cap why didn't they design the cap so it doesn't even come close to snapping in?

Idk why they do that, but you wouldn't believe how many I see with similar problems. I had a 6.4 yesterday at the shop to replace a injector. When I was finished I changed the oil, it had a china filter that looked just like a mc filter. It had pushed the stand tube through the top of the filter pushing the whole top plate off the filter. Customer said only Ford and one quick lube place had ever done a oil change on it. I keep about 5 ford caps on the shelf for that reason.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.