Wtf How do I compression test 2005 6.0??

powerlifter405

Reaction score
I recently picked up a 2005 theft recovery and I'd like to run a compression test. I'm on the fence about whether or not I should keep it and even if I decide I don't want to fiddle w/ a 6.0 I want to have # for if/when I sell.

How do I do a compression test on this thing?? I can do the test on my 7.3 in an hour or so I'm hoping this is simple as well.

I know I need a tool or the like to pull the wiring harness off the plugs.
When I get the GP pullled do I find the FICM fuse and then start cranking?? On the 7.3 I know to pull the big harness to keep the injectors from firing so I want to make sure I'm doing this right.

any help?? I've already done a search for compression test and aside from "6.0 bible", which does not outline the steps, I find nothing.

Thanks in advance!

ghohouston

Reaction score
just gotta keep the injectors from getting power. unplug em, unplug the ficm, ficm relay, etc... yes, the glow plug harnesses SUCK on 6.0's. I will not touch them unless i have a new harness to install, because i ALWAYS break them. aside from that, its really no different than a 7.3.

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
You don't even have to pull power from the ficm there is a wire on the passenger side fender up by the HVAC that goes to the starter you just unplug that and touch the battery and it cranks it over. Easy to do and you can watch your gauge as it cranks. It's a single bigger wire plug.

powerlifter405

Reaction score
just gotta keep the injectors from getting power. unplug em, unplug the ficm, ficm relay, etc... yes, the glow plug harnesses SUCK on 6.0's. I will not touch them unless i have a new harness to install, because i ALWAYS break them. aside from that, its really no different than a 7.3.

Good to know, thanks. I'm a little stubborn so I'm gonna get the tool, pull the fender liner and go for it.

You don't even have to pull power from the ficm there is a wire on the passenger side fender up by the HVAC that goes to the starter you just unplug that and touch the battery and it cranks it over. Easy to do and you can watch your gauge as it cranks. It's a single bigger wire plug.

I saw the red lead from the battery to the starter but I don't see anything besides that one red lead that is already connected to the battery already.

Also, this thing sat at the insurance yard long enough for mice to chew through this; Wtf is this plug and wiring for?

Attachments

• IMG_1037.jpg
    IMG_1037.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 76

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
I will get a picture for you.

If some of the plugs don't want to come out you can pull the valve cover and push from the inside and they will normally come out. Then you wouldn't have to buy a new harness.

powerlifter405

Reaction score
The wire with the loop charges alternator if it's unplugged alternator stops charging

Good to know thanks!

Well ghohouston was right, I broke several connectors even w/ the OTC tool. AND the compression adapter has the wrong size fitting for my gauge :confused:

Thanks for everyone's input.

Lesson learned. If you have to pull the harness, removing the fender liners makes access a lot easier. W/ my new fancy milwaukee impact gun I had both front tires off in under 30 sec and w/ the liners removed it's made working it smoother.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.