WW My impression.

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
Just did the WW, not impressed. It did away with the WOOOSH but now it smokes like a freight train until I hit about 60MPH. Boost is the same if not a tad less, EGT is down under empty full throttle but only a tad. Was'nt worth the 3 hours breaking, bending, bleeding, hooking, bale wiring, cussing and crying. The wheel was easy, the trouble was the WG and the time I spent to get it off w/o losing the E clip only to snap the eye off tightening it. The fix included baling wire. Total waste of time and CANNOT recomend anyone going this route. Pretty sure I could've swapped in a 38R in this amount of time. That is all.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
should have took the wheel off your 96 and tried it first. would have made it easier on you then buying one and it not work... don't know if that would actually work but i think the ww and the stock obs wheel are the same...

Petro

Reaction score
It helped in my 02. It wasnt a huge gain but it did get rid of the surge problem and whisled more. I was happy with it.

Lowdown89

Reaction score
Yeah it sounds like a leak or something, because a wicked wheel shouldn't do much more than help out with surging.... Sure shouldn't make it smoke

BuckedUp154

Reaction score
the trouble was the WG and the time I spent to get it off w/o losing the E clip only to snap the eye off tightening it.

Just did one on mine, and did this part a little more unconventional. Unbolted back two bolts that hold the waste gate onto it's mount on the turbo and used a small pry bar to compress and pull forward... You can move it over to the side and out of your way. Saved me tons of time.

Just thought I'd share if anyone is thinking of doing this mod, or if you are planning on putting your stock wheel back on.

Very impressed with my Wicked Wheel. Did my intake at the same time and makes a world of difference when the breathing of your truck is concerned. Plus it sounds pretty cool...

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
Aw is designed to get rid of surge. And that's what it does your not going to feel a power gain and most of the time they loose 1-2 psi. It should not of taken anywhere near 3 hours.

So if you were expecting a seat of the pants difference and something radical + took up 3 hours of time o could understand why you would be upset.

The ww has proved itself for a long time so I don't think a bad review here and there will hurt it very much.

And if it took 3 hours to do the wicked wheel it may take 10 hours to do a 38r. LOL just busting your chops

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
The removal of the compressor housing and wheel was easy, took maybe 10 minutes. Re-install was about the same. The the other 2 1/2 hrs was for the E-clip (which I was dead set on not losing) and jury rigging a way to hold the WG closed after breaking the EYE. LOL

It moves less air, that's the WHY concerning less power, more smoke, less boost, less egt.

The tunes I have only smoked heavy at launch then disappered until surge started. Now the fuel is more than the smaller wheel can handle.

My disapointment is not over the lesser function of the 205hp wheel, but that somehow I reconed it would work better than the 225hp wheel. LOL

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
BTW it was much louder with the stock wheel. It would shreek at fast idle, now it's quiet as a mouse til throttle. I have a 1.0 housing so maybe there's a diff in how it works in that setup.

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
You're a dummy for not pulling the turbo. :poke:

How do you have a 1.0 with a wastegate?

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
400 vs. 100 probably made the decision easy...

What gains have been seen with the batmo in a stock 7.3 turbo?

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
You're a dummy for not pulling the turbo. :poke:

How do you have a 1.0 with a wastegate?

I won't pretend that I know all the variations of the gt38 just that I have a wg and 1.0 is cast into the compressor housing.

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
:poke:
Your wastegate screw up is what is causing your problems IMO.

I still have the E clip and plan to reinstall the wg when I Fab a new tip.
Why is a 1.0 with a wg significant? Why would my stock Turbo scream just off idle while the obs wheel is much quieter? What are the markings of a 38r?

Latest posts

Members online